Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: berk pump noise

jrau
    just finished motor took boat out all weekend. pump has a noise that carries throughout the hull. I checked oil in back and it was milky. I changed the 80w90 after a days use was milky again. so i used it anyway and changed oil every evening. will this work a couple more weekends? boating season will be over here soon. how hard is it to change rear bearing and seal on a jc pump? also a guy is trying to sell me a (loader grate), is what he calls it, for $75. what will this do for me? any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

miller19j
    I am in the process of changing mine right now. It is not hard just a lot of disassembly to get to the little seal. I would suggest that you replace the bearings when you do it.
    I bought the parts from CP performance (707)585-0482
    150 S14476 Bowl Seal $9.25
    150 S14483 Bowl Bearing $7.50 (you need two)
    If it were me I would change it now before it gets worse and you have no oil in there. That’s what happened to me. If you have the parts you could do it in an evening.
    There is a good book on rebuilding a Jet by Selock I believe it is called “Jet pump repair” You can get it on Amazon and it will walk you through everything.

miller19j
    I just reread your original post.
    I am not a jet expert but I think that you may have more problems besides the seal. There are people here that are better qualified than me that can help you diagnose it. Hopefully they will chime in.

jrau
    i know the bearing is bad. that would be the noise. the boat sat all winter outside. I think the seal may have went last fall and maybe had moisture in it. bearing probably pitted. what about this loader grate. its flat irons formed to catch water and feed impeller. what will this ldo for performance if anything.
    [ August 13, 2002, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: jrau ]

miller19j
    I really do not know enough about loader grates to give an educated opinion.

Slick
    jrau,
    You may want to get a better opinion on this by calling you local jet guru, but....I've been told that if you have a bad pump bearing, and it fails, it can lock up and throw the lower bearings in your motor as well.

jrau
    thats the problem. you guys are my only resource on my jetboat. no shops around here. only a few jetboats. mostly outdives. without this board i would not know where to turn.

pops1
    jrau:
    thats the problem. you guys are my only resource on my jetboat. no shops around here. only a few jetboats. mostly outdives. without this board i would not know where to turn.Your thrust bearing will get you into Big Bucks Problems if thats what is making the noise.
    Keep oil in your bowl will get you by at this point- I don't think the bowl is the noise- Look forward to the bearing to see if any signs of heat or failure! I would be suspect more on this.
    If so re-build your pump complete- $230.00 makes it good to go 5-7 more years.
    Take note on the book by Seloc. "Marine Jet Drives" Or take it to a respected pump builder
    #2-Do you need a Loader! If so a Ski -River loader will do you fine. Good Luck! Dave.
    wink
    [ August 14, 2002, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: pops1 ]

Windy
    jrau:
    also a guy is trying to sell me a (loader grate), is what he calls it, for $75. what will this do for me? any and all help will be greatly appreciated.This is what a loader grate looks like...

The one on the left is a custom MPD loader grate, and the one on the right is HBjets old one. Big difference between the two. Hope this helps.
    MissHBjet
    [ August 14, 2002, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: MissHBjet ]

spectratoad
    JRAU, I just had my pump rebuilt. Was going to do it myself but didn't feel like wasting the rest of the summer because I messed it up. I had a loud whining noise and it ended up being the thrust bearing which probably led to the impeller getting chewed all to hell. I am not sure of the exact chain of events but it went quick. I would look at it close and make sure it is not a bearing or you could get into the housing and then the repair bill gets higher. eek! I had my blueprinted while they were at it. Just got it back in last night so I will see this weekend how it goes.
    MissHBJet, how did that old grate work. I had one given to me and I just put it on last night and will see how it works this weekend.
    [ August 15, 2002, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: spectratoad ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast