Thread: Dipstick blowing oil out?!?

diggler
    I'm not sure why, but my dipstick started blowing a fine mist of oil out. I noticed it after I got back home with the boat and saw that there was a greasy film all over the transom on that side. Definitely didn't come from the headers or the breather valves on the valve covers. It is a 455 olds with a 10qt Moroso pan on it. If anyone knows why, I'd be much appreciative. Thanks!

sdmarkus
    I've got that same problem. At higher rpm's starts working it's way out the end of the dipstick tube. I thought it was a gasket issue and tinkered with that, but not much love. I talked to some guys at the shop that felt it was very odd, and maybe overfilled. Hmmmm

Torino Jet
    Mine drips oil always. I put an O-ring on the the dipstick, and that seemed to at least slow it down.. There is always so much oil in my boat after a day of boating, I have a hard time tracking them all down.

djdplacecraft
    try hooking up a vacume line from the breather to your carb it will pull some of the presure from the crankcase,als check your breathers and make sure they arent full of crap and they still allow flow.if it still does it u probably have a pistonor 2 going south on u around the ring glands.

squirts
    Tall 4in. breathers on valve covers or intake should take care of your pressure problems.

Bubsy2low
    I've had the same problem before.Check and see if the dip stick backs out a little causing the leak. If so, just bend a couple of kinks(in a wavey fashion)on the dip stick.
    Or if your dipstick already has some factory bends in it at the top,just increase the size of them by bending it. All in all this will make the dipstick fairly tight within the tube and will not allow it to back out that 1/8"-1/4" to create that mess!

Q-ball
    I had the same type of problem, but also had it coming out of the k&N style breathers. A set of $40 baffled valve covers, 1 K&N breather, and 1 PCV valve solved the problem 100%. Good luck, Q

diggler
    I went to the local performance shop and they informed me to run a PVC valve off one of the breathers back to the carb 3/8" vaccuum port. He said this would eliminate the problem of "blow-by" which is overpressure conditions in the crankcase. He said breathers alone wouldn't solve the problem. I'll try it out this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for everyone's responses.