Thread: pump rebuild ?'s

Danhercules
    I have a Berkley JC. What is a "rebuild"? Is it the bearing and wear ring? How do I know if i need an impeller? How much is a rebuild. I see posts of guys spending 2k on a pump.

beached 1
    Depending on how good of shape you impeller is in, a simple rebuild should cost in the 5 to 700 dollar range.
    A complete rebuild with a f'd up SS impeller and having the bolw flowed @ MPD was 1200 (give or take. I don't have the reciept in front of me) bucks for me.

sidewound
    I'm rebuilding my 12 jc myself. It's not that hard. The bearing, wear ring, bowl bushings, gaskets, and seals would be the minimum.
    If you need a wear ring you will have to measure the impeller and get one to fit it or have the impeller trued to the shaft and sized for a wear ring.
    If your impeller looks like this
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114My_boat_018-med.jpg[/img]
    You should have it repaired. Duane at High Tech Performance sold me the parts, did the machine work, and talked me through the rebuild for about three and a half. That's everything. He also has the ultimate wear ring which I am looking forward to experiencing.
    You can call him at 316-794-8616.
    If your not a "do it yourselfer" the parts were $225.00 and I think a build, barring any serious problems is about $350.00
    Any shop can do this for you, I just happened to pick htp because they are closer to me.
    Duane is cool to work with and that southern drawl just lulls me into a sense of well being. he he he
    Hope this helps. Mail or call him and get the skinny. He checks his mail often.
    Peace Man
    CESAR
    [ May 14, 2003, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: sidewound ]

BrendellaJet
    Hey Dan,
    Mine is costing $2500 because I am getting all kinds of extras. For a basic rebuild you should be looking from $300-800, depending on who does your work. My pump rebuild alone is costing 850, with a front and back side detail of the impeller and bowl. Its all of the upgrades that make it expensive.

Danhercules
    hey sidewound,
    What is bad on the pic? The leading edge that is chewed up a little or the "pitting" on the "blade". Sorry for the "" but I dont know what to call all that stuff.

sidewound
    The pitting is cavitation burn because my wear ring was shot. The leading edges were also bad but repairable. The burns cause disturbances in the water flow and cost you ZOOOMIE! Check with Duane for real advice.
    Peace Man
    CESAR

jim@pj
    Norco.... I don,t know where you are from but if you are close to No. California, give me a call. I offer three rebuild levels. My level III is 900.00 plus tax on parts and includes bowl flowing. This price may be going up soon. You should talk to a builder and discuss your application and desired results. There are alot of choices. Do it once and do it right for YOUR set up. Jim @pj 707-823-6713.
    www.performancejet.com

Hal
    If your in Norco go down and talk to Tom Papp at Tom Papp Racing. His shop is right off Hamner on Industrial Way or St. Tom Papp Racing
    [ May 15, 2003, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

HammerDown
    Tom Papp has turned out some pretty stout Drag Boats in our DVBRC Race Club. (http://www.dvbrc.com/)

Danhercules
    Thanks.
    Norco is in So Cal.
    I will stop by. Thanks again