Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gate valve or Globe valve?

lakecrazy
    Which is better to control water flow/temperature?
    If you go to the McMaster-Carr web site they have a description of both valves and their applications.
    On the gate valve they recommend for full open or closed application only.
    On the globe valve they say it can be used for throttling applications and adjustment for flow rate.
    The globe valve sounds like it would be better for use on the incoming water on the jet pump.
    Which one do you think is better?

Lakecrazy, where were you this past summer when this same subject was discussed to death?
    I can tell you that many of the original jetboats came new with gate valves, and I'll bet it was because they were cheaper. They also worked fine as far as I can tell(based on my old 73 Tahiti).
    If a globe valve sounds more appropriate, then I say use it.

Banshee
    Without trying to rehash everything that was discussed in the past, let me say that I work in the chemical industry (well sort of). We have valves out the yazoo and a globe valve is always chosen for throttling applications over a gate valve. The difference in flow is much more linear than a gate valve.

GlastronGuy
    But how do you handle the pressure?
    wink

sidewound
    My opinion is ballvalve. But you know how opinions are. I work in plant maint and agree with the flow application. Be carefull with the handle on the valve. I am making a locking setup for mine so I don't have to worry about movement due to passengers rough seas etc. You can bounce one open or closed depending on the attitude of the valve.

DEL51
    I am going to install a globe valve to control the water flow from the pump.Gate valves work but globes are better.The seat on the gate valve is always under pressure from one side of the gate pushing against it.I made the globe valve decision based on my new job at a power plant.I am currently taking a computer course(CBT) that had some neat graphics showing how different valves work and their intended applications.Gate and ball valves are used mostly for on/off at our facility.

LVjetboy
    Yep, globe most linear...designed for flow control. But I've used both gates and balls on my jet boats without issues of fine tune or adjustability.
    I have two 3/8" and two 1/4" ball valves on my engine now.
    Some have reported ball handles changing position from vibration, but I've never had that problem, even though my engine certainly vibrates (grey dust on mounts). That issue may be related valve mfg., clearances within the valve, or the quality of the valve. I've found that some ball valves have a nut serving as a friction adjustment, and some don't. So you may want to check if you have handle position problems.
    As most here know I like ball valves because of quick 90 shut off and easy view of handle position. You know where they're set at a glance. Not to mention they look cool If your application is the emergency shut-off on the hard line, then ball's best. Quick shut off in emergency. But if your application is a valve needed to "fine tune" flow, globe works best.
    The poor gate valve, well, is neither linear as a globe, nor cool looking and easy to read like a ball, so the gate's a looser all around.
    jer
    [ January 07, 2003, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

Taylorman
    Ball valves for sure. I sell them in stainless steel. Every part is made of stainless, very good for corrosion and look a hell of alot better than brass. I have any size you need from 1/4 - 3 inch.
    [ January 07, 2003, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Taylorman ]

HM
    Banshee:
    Without trying to rehash everything that was discussed in the past, let me say that I work in the chemical industry (well sort of). We have valves out the yazoo and a globe valve is always chosen for throttling applications over a gate valve. The difference in flow is much more linear than a gate valve. Banshee, do you work for Air Products, being in Allen Town?
    I sold Resins and Surfactants for them up to 2 years ago. Now I work for a competitor in the surfactants area.

Lightning
    I no expert on this stuff, but I chose the thermostat route from Rex. Yes, it does get water to the exhaust manifolds for cool down purposes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast