Thread: Rich and lean condition

460Dave
    After removing my headers on a 1976 460, the inside of the header tubes were black and sooty (rich condition) on the front four cylinders, 1,2, 5 and 6 and the rear four cylinders, 3, 4, 7 an 8 were clean (lean condition), 8 was only slightly sooty. The Holley 750 DP was rebuilt over the winter. Manifold is standard ford. I haven't found any air leaking into the rear of the manifold to make a lean condition. Any suggestions on what could be the cause? I want to richen the rear four cylinders.

HOSS
    Check plugs, I would look for a water leak as opposed to carb problems.

hack job
    that sounds opisite most fords run richer toward the back ( bad intake runner design) i would look for water in the rear i had a hole in one of my heads in the rear the water passages had blown through it was onnly a pin hole and would only leak at high rpm but it make the differance between clean plugs and normal plugs wink

Wet Dream
    Rich = state of financial condition before boating season
    Lean = an action required on an object to prevent falling when you learn the costs of gaining that extra 200hp for next season.

SeaYaBye
    Go for a new manifold..maybe an Edlebrock Performer and 1 inch carb spacer...also check all parts of your ignition system and plug wires ..your carb should be fine and not the culprit!! Good Luck!! T.R.C. wink