Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Word to the wise, it can happen to YOU!

Max_182
    Got my boat done. First hard pass produced this. http://www.do-it-yourself-dragboat.com/pump-break.htm. Watch for word-wrap on that URL.
    Good thing it happened where I had a sandy beach just ahead of me. It sank pretty much as I beached it. No damage other than the pump and my schedule! I probably had about 10 seconds between the break and when it would be going down. Speed was probably somewhere around 80 or 90. I hit the rev limiter at 7500 (first day out) and it startled me. I lifted off the throttle briefly and bam, I got a shower. People on shore said I disappeared in the mass of water. Hehehe Anyway, inspection revealed that a crack had existed previously, and was welded. The crack was located in the center of the hole.
    You'll definitely know if this ever happens though, the shower of water is most noticeable.
    Anyone have a Berkeley suction piece for sale? Seriously. I'll take it if the price is right. Email rkunze-at-colusanet-dot-com.
    Rk

Max_182
    oops, it looks like the period at the end of the sentence got included in the URL. This should work: http://www.do-it-yourself-dragboat.com/pump-break.htm

wrightnow
    I just found a crack in pump also, so I'm looking too...what a great weeken huh

cal***boat

Get hold of Dave or Paul over at GT Boats and they should have one

Contradiction
    So was it 80 or 90? How fast do you run and what happened to the guy in the back seat?

burbanite
    Good to see you have a ratchet, what about a pop off? I had seen pics of that boat a while ago and wondered what became of the project - good pics of the build up.
    I'm interested in the way you have your fuel system plumbed, particularly the collector/surge tank.
    Boat looks good.

Max_182
    burbanite:
    Good to see you have a ratchet, what about a pop off? I had seen pics of that boat a while ago and wondered what became of the project - good pics of the build up.
    I'm interested in the way you have your fuel system plumbed, particularly the collector/surge tank.
    Boat looks good. No popoff, but I'm looking for one now that I have to replace the suction piece. As far as the pics of the project, as you can see there is quite a gap in the time frame. I got so busy with my business and the boat that taking pics just slipped my mind.
    The injection in the new rig is presently just a conventional plumping job; main jet and secondary. That's it. My last hull, the Horizon, is where you saw what you call a surge can. That's a pressurized inlet system, mainly to facilitate either multiple tanks or one that's far away, and also so that you don't have to prime it to start it. With the pressurized inlet system, it will self prime. Fire away if you have any specific questions on that, I spent years building injections, everything from tractor pullers to Indy cars. I was manager of production at Kinsler back during the Can-Am. I don't do carby-aters. wink
    Rk

burbanite
    Max_182:
    Fire away if you have any specific questions on that, I spent years building injections, everything from tractor pullers to Indy cars. I was manager of production at Kinsler back during the Can-Am. I don't do carby-aters. wink
    Rk I'm in the process of building a new engine for my boat, a 496 and I am replacing the carbs with an 871/birdcatcher on alcohol.
    I intended to make up a priming system as I want to run the hat facing the rear of the boat but having seen your setup I think this is a better deal, especially as I want to keep my side tanks.
    Gofastracer just built a similar system I think.
    Do you have any diagrams showing how yours is plumbed? What are the specifics of the pressurized tank - inlets and returns in relation to each other, baffles etc?

what type of boat was it? makes you realize how much pressure those suction pieces really have inside them.

Moneypitt
    OUCH!!!!!!of course there are worst ways to get WET........Moneypitt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast