Thread: Gas gauge question....

DickDanger
    I am curious here: why is it that my new Gaffrig gas gauge only reads 3/4 full when the tanks are actually full? Also, when the boat is on fumes, it reads a 1/4 full. The last gauge I had before I replaced it with the Gaffrig also read the same. Only 1 tank out of the 2 is wired, so could this be the problem? I kind of need an accurate gas gauge here. -DD Out

Kwicherbichen
    The best gas gauge I was able to find was a stick or dowel. Start by making sure your tanks are empty. Then put in one gallon at a time and inserting the stick. When you pull it out after putting in one gallon at a time mark it with a sharpie. Bammm! There you have it, the most acurate gas gauge ever.
    On a more serious note DD, my shit don't work that well either. I ran out one time when my gauge said I still had a 1/4 tank. Notice I said "I ran out one time", that shit won't happen twice.

Hotcrusader76
    Dave,
    I have gone through 3 sets of Autometer Ultra lites and nothing yet. I am being informed to replace my senders with 33-240ohm models then match up the guage. I hear also that there is a calibrating model you buy also.

Hallett19
    Originally posted by Kwicherbichen:
    Bammm! There you have it, the most acurate gas gauge ever.
    Bammmm.....well, you are very excited over this http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif I need to do that though

BBTAHITI
    As odd as it sounds, I would check that the float arm isn't too long. That would explain both conditions. At full tank, it could not rise high enough, and empty the float would sit on the bottom and still have a reading.
    [This message has been edited by BBTAHITI (edited July 02, 2002).]