Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Berkley Thrust Bearing

spectratoad
    Well just returned from Shasta for the week and its time to change the thrust bearing. I am mechanical and can work on most anything but have never worked on a jet drive. It looks easy but that usually means it's a pain. Is there a process to this. I have the parts diagram in front of me but it doesn't tell about install or removal.
    Next ? It is a 12JC pump, would like to upgrade but is this a bolt in install and if so does anyone have a newere model pump for sale? Thanks for all your help. Todd

LVjetboy
    Since no responses yet, I'll pitch in. On the thrust bearing:
    Need to remove the nozzle and bowl, impeller, then suction piece w/shaft. Then bearing cap and finally shaft. An arbor press is used to press the bearing off the shaft and to install the new one.
    I recommend buying the Seloc manual for step by step instructions.
    One important thing. The Seloc manual is unclear about which way the thrust bearing notch must be oriented. Some reference contradict others. Normally notch will be toward engine, but not always, depending on bearing manufacturer. So make sure you get this right or risk early bearing failure. I have pictures of the correct installation if you like.
    BTW, I've never actually replaced a thrust bearing so this is all BRF info...use at your own risk http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
    jer

spectratoad
    Thanks JER, I am going to start diggin in to that here later this week. I need to get it done before Tower Park and I also want to get down to Mead this summer some time. I appreciate the info though. Todd

SoCalPower
    Don't use the max type bearing. It's the one with the notch. Use a conrad still bearing, no notch. If someone tells you that you need the max type, ask him/her why. Max type bearings are for applications where thrust is always in the same direction.........not the case with marine jet drive apps. Thrust direction is forward under accel and aft under decel.
    We've been through the "notch issue" before on a few threads.
    LVjetboy is on the money for steps to get the bearing off. Best method for install is induction heater with temp control. Arbor press works fine but be sure and support bearing on inner ring when installing. If you support the bearing on the outer, you will damage the bearing when installing.
    Good Luck!!
    db

jweeks123
    why do all the jet companies install max load type 3307s as oem? and the same in their overhaul kits?
    jw

SB
    I think you can get instructions from cpperformance.com

SoCalPower
    Originally posted by jweeks123:
    why do all the jet companies install max load type 3307s as oem? and the same in their overhaul kits?
    jw
    That's a great question JW!! Maybe Dave from Agressor can provide some insight, he seems to jump in these boards now and then. Or any other OEM.
    Dave??......anybody???

AGGRESSOR JETS
    SoCalPower:
    jweeks123
    jwThat's a great question JW!! Maybe Dave from Agressor can provide some insight, he seems to jump in these boards now and then. Or any other OEM.
    Dave??......anybody???I have had 5 bearing company's in regarding this subject. The 3307 Bearing is a sound bearing- forward thrust is not a big problem- History has proven that!
    We did not lead on this subject-we followed, But in cost vs run time I do not disagree. We picked our bearing company as there unit had a little higher frontal/rear load capacity vs any other we found.
    I am now seeing a H/D bearing being put in which I or our bearing mfg. cannot understand why! The bearing we use is 11 Balls x 2 rows, clearance ground for higher RPMs. Out of 3000 plus bearings per year, we see 5 to 7 failure's and that number fits anyones book. We bought 1,000 of the China-Aerospace Bearings- We sent out to a local firm and had a series of tests done on them, Price was great test was great, Field failure sucked. We scrapped 955 bearings "in the trash" Replaced all the bearings sent to dealers, returned to our source and will not try that game again.
    We run this bearing in Blown Fuel, Ski Racers which are enduro's, White water, and a very full amount of high performance units across the country. on top of that our rebuild kits contain them and have for 5 years. We have a very, very, low warrenty problem on a high usage item. I do not see any problem with the 3307 bearing as has, and is being used in Jets. No bearing fits all demands- You have a High RPM application on long run times, small amount of frontal/rear load time (only when loading the impeller due you get that type of load) Shut down has small load effect.
    and cost with Jetters is a "MAJOR PROBLEM" $49.00 List for a clearanced double row bearing is not bad. Dave
    [ July 18, 2002, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: AGGRESSOR JETS ]

checkmate76
    If the bearing is only 49.00, then why are the bearing "kits" so expensive?
    Mine is making a noise "sometimes" so I figured I would replace the thrust bearing, but do I need all that other stuff in the kit.
    when u-joints go bad do they make noise also?
    just wondering where th problem lies
    [ July 18, 2002, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: checkmate76 ]

spectratoad
    Check, that's a good question. I called CP and asked them about the thrust bearing and they said that they go in through the jet instead of pulling the motor so if I did it that way I would also need the gasket kit which cost $160. THey may be talking straight though. It seems you would have to the impeller off the shaft to get the thrust bearing so I don't know.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast