Thread: Starter solenoid

Ray Hamel
    Is it just me or does anyone else have problems with their starter solenoid going out regularly???? I run a 460 Ford in my 1978 Nordic with O/T aluminum wet exausts. The solenoid is mounted at the rear of the engine and on the head (the original wiring places it in this location) so I mounted it to a long bolt with nylon washers to isolate it from heat and vibration (???????). Still, I need to replace it every season (about 20 hours use). This is not a big problem but it is certainly irritating. Any suggestions??? or is this a standard problem.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Ray Hamel:
    Is it just me or does anyone else have problems with their starter solenoid going out regularly???? I run a 460 Ford in my 1978 Nordic with O/T aluminum wet exausts. The solenoid is mounted at the rear of the engine and on the head (the original wiring places it in this location) so I mounted it to a long bolt with nylon washers to isolate it from heat and vibration (???????). Still, I need to replace it every season (about 20 hours use). This is not a big problem but it is certainly irritating. Any suggestions??? or is this a standard problem. had the same problem there chief. until I switched to a starter for a 1973 model 460. it has the solenoid attached to the starter much like a GM starter. had no more problems since. hooks up just like a GM with the one solenoid wire and you are ready to go. Saved me alot of headaches. Go to auto parts and ask for a starter for 1973 one ton ford pickup with 460. I got mine at Orielly's. I think it cost a whopping $39.95 with a lifetime warrantee. good luck....
    Omega

AZKC
    Those solinoids are pretty tough usually. I have one that is hooked up as a kinda booster to my chevy starter its over 15 years old. Have you tried different brands. I have allways like Standard Ignition products. Hard to find some times with all the white box crap out there, but good stuff.
    KC

Ray Hamel
    Thanks for the info. Omega and KC. I'm usually not comfortable with using non marine parts. I had the starter rebuilt in case there was something causing a high current spike on the solenoid. If that doesn't solve the problem, I will be ready to try the '73 pickup starter rout. And KC. Yes, I have tried all the brands I can find with High and Low price tags over the last 9 years of ownership (all with the same results - 20 or less hours use). I have managed, however, to develop some record breaking exchange times while floating down the river with hot exausts.

Ray next time you might want to try a Cole Hersee 24117-01 solenoid. It's marine rated and plastic dipped to keep out moisture. We've used them successfully in many applications for a long time. Just an idea.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Ray Hamel:
    Thanks for the info. Omega and KC. I'm usually not comfortable with using non marine parts. I had the starter rebuilt in case there was something causing a high current spike on the solenoid. If that doesn't solve the problem, I will be ready to try the '73 pickup starter rout. And KC. Yes, I have tried all the brands I can find with High and Low price tags over the last 9 years of ownership (all with the same results - 20 or less hours use). I have managed, however, to develop some record breaking exchange times while floating down the river with hot exausts. Ray I just replaced mine this season. I have had the boat for 3.5 years and probably average at least 50 hrs of use a year. Of course I am always careful to keep the bilge dry as possible. One more thing to mention. Oreilly has a life time guarantee on their starters as long as you don't tell them it is marine or racing use so if it does go out again you just take it down there and swap it out. Good luck.......
    Omega

quiet riot
    I have my ford solonoid mounted on the stringer about halfway between the battery and starter. This way I only have about a 1 ft pos batt cable and a 1 ft starter cable. Its also away from heat and motor vibration. It does get splashed a little but it has held up for 8 years. Its just a OMC solonoid for a ford.
    jd

BigBoyToys
    I don't have that problem, but I only run Chevy's eek!

Ray Hamel
    MIKE:
    That Cole Hersee sounds good. I solenoids I have been using are automotive and not sealed (as far as I know)and take JD's advice on relocating it.
    OMEGA:
    I will check into that Orielly starter. I don't think the rebuild on mine is very good (done by someone who knew someone---when will I ever learn????) However, the engine is back in so I will give it a try next season before I order one.
    JD:
    I think you just confirmed what I suspected. The heat and vigration must be my problem. I don't have a good location on the stringer to keep the cables short, but I do need to rewire and relocate.
    BBT:
    Sorry to hear about your Chevy problem (He He). Thanks for the great new site. I have bookmarked it and will be checking it out from time to time. Just incase I decide to migrate to "the Dark Side".