Thread: Taylor Jet Help

wyldweazel
    Greetings all. I have just become the new proud owner of a 1973 Taylor Sidewinder Jet Boat. It has a 455 Olds, motor in it (which actually ran 10 years ago when the guy parked it in his backyard.) and a JC-A Berkley Pump in it. My questions are...
    Should I do a tear downa and rebuild on the pump? When I was a kid my Idol had a Sanger Jet boat with a "Jetalotor" on it. Would this fit on my boat? I am not looking for awesome speed, just really good rooster tails. LOL.

Duane HTP
    Here is a site you might be interested in; http://www.taylorjetboats.com/ Duane HTP

Old Guy
    wyldweazel
    Perhaps you meant to say "Thompson" Sidewinder. Thompson bought Sidewinder and made them for a while. Not real sure when they stopped making them.
    The '72 Sidewinder that I had was one of the smoothest riding boats I've had.
    old

Mohavekid
    Wyld, A jetovator will fit on your JC pump, you just need to rotate the bowl 90 degrees to make it work. Jetovators are no longer made, so you'll probably have to go with a Place Diverter. the PD will bolt up to you JC pump without rotating the bowl and the PD gives mor up/down movement and a bigger roost. Check with REX Marine, CP Performance, or Eddie Marine, they should be able to help you out.

mud duck
    You say "the engine actually ran 10 years ago when he parked it in his backyard".
    What shape is the engine today?

wyldweazel
    mud duck:
    You say "the engine actually ran 10 years ago when he parked it in his backyard".
    What shape is the engine today?Well... its still in the boat! LOL. The carb is toast. Completely frozen up. I am going to replace it with a Edelbrock 750 that I have laying around. I started pulling plugs yesterday and sofar so good. The plugs look great. The inside of the intake is clean... I am going to fill the cylinders with diesel fuel and brake fluid and let it sit a couple of weeks. That should loosen up the rings (if they are rusted.) This Taylor Sidewinder has a strange engine compartment so getting to the motor serial number will be fun.

wyldweazel
    here is a picture of my project. Wish me lots of luck... [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/P10100031.JPG[/img]

Old Guy
    Well, I guess I learned something, just when I thought it was hopeless. I went to http://www.taylorjetboats.com/photos.htm and guess what. Some of the Taylor SS boats look a lot like my old Sidewinder from the side. Your Taylor Sidewinder looks like a fine project boat. I hope it's better than my Sidewinder project boat was. I had to replace floor and transom.
    It would be a good idea to pull the distributor and run the oil pump with a drill motor to get some oil circulated through the bearings before you turn it over. Just a thought. Good luck!
    old

mud duck
    Oh boy, I get tired just looking at that picture.
    Good luck! By the time you are done, you will know every square inch of it. And love it that much more because you have some history.

sdba069
    Aggressor has come out with a new Diverter.I've installed several and they are nice pieces.Comes standard with interchangable nozzles and a rudder(extra on the Place Diverter),Oildyne pump,and a nice plug in wiring harness.I'm referring to the hydraulic controls,but they have the cable version also.I haven't sold a cable Diverter in 13 years.