Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '74 Tahiti steering cable

Mike G
    Okay, I warned you... Dumb questions to follow!
    I was working on the new boat over the weekend, and the steering cable is siezed. Does anyone know:
    1: What cable I need? (part number?) I measured it, and I measured around 16.5' from where it bolts to the jet to the nut on the steering box.
    2: How do you disconnect it from the steering box? Do I have to pull the whole box out and take it apart? I tried turning the nut, but it seems to be twisting the cable inside the box.
    3: Is there a good place either online or in the 909 area to pick up a steering cable?
    Other than that, it looks pretty solid. The motor looks clean, just need to find a distributor hold-down for an Olds. I have my doubts about the gas tank not being solid rust inside, since it looks a little iffy from the outside. We'll see.
    Free beer to whoever helps me find a steering cable!

Mike G
    Duh! I suppose it might help if I said the size of the boat!
    It's a 1974 20'6" Tahiti, with a Berkeley 12YC and an Olds 455.
    Thanks again!
    Mike
    [ May 18, 2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Mike G ]

TahitiSteve
    I have a 72 stern driven 19'6 Tahiti, and had my cable replaced last year. No idea if the cable setup is the same but mine had the part number/length all the stuff that I needed on a tag on the cable (I believe right near the rack). Just went to the boat shop down the street and ordered it, I didn't have any problem getting one.

Mike G
    No tag, unfortunately. :-(
    How did you disconnect the cable from the rack?
    Thanks.
    Mike

Mike, Do you know what type (brand name) of steering you have? That would be most helpful. Most the time there is a part number of some kind on the cable jacket towards one end. We stock most all the common ones. If you need help or assistance figuring it out just give Bob or Tom here a call in the AM 909-392-7300 they will be happy to talk you through it.

TahitiSteve
    Mike, sorry, not sure of how to remove it, someone else replaced it for me, all I did was find the part.
    I remember the name on my rack Was kierhauser, or something similar. If you have the same one let me know and I'll get the code off my cable for ya in the next couple days when I go to the marina.

ezstriper
    Unless somebody replaced the sterring system since
    72 you are probally going to have to replace everything, as you can't the cable in that style
    anymore. I went thru the same thing a while back on my 72 chris craft xk-18, got everything from
    walt's hot boat, hope this helps, Rob...

TahitiSteve
    Unless somebody replaced the sterring system since
    72 you are probally going to have to replace everything, as you can't the cable in that style
    anymore. Are you speaking of a difference for the jet steering, or about the Kierhauser unit? I had no problem getting my cable?

Tahiti Tiger Mark
    Best bet is yank the cable, take it to the local boat shop, and they can match it, that is what I did.

Tahiti Tiger Mark
    They still do make those cables, check west marine, or cope & mcphetres if you have one near by, they are also on the net
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=26932

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast