Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump Loading

Danhercules
    It seems to take forever to get water in my pump. Why? I cannot remember if I back in with my bucket up or down. I think I do it while the bucket it up. It takes a good 15 sec. while reving it. It this normal? The pump seems to be ok when its wet. Any help on this?

jet4fun
    i dont know if you have a droop or not???, but sometimes those can cause a problem with getting water into the bowl when you first launch...
    i would just install a burp valve on your bowl, and it should take care of the problem completely. its what most drag racers use now because of the same problems they were having... just call a local pump builder and they should have one in stock, i think they're about 55 +/-... if you dont have anyone to call, then call jim at 818-890-1867, he has them

Danhercules
    No droop. Here is my set up. [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/467new_pump_.JPG[/img]

HBjet
    Do you back your boat in with the boat running? Do you drive the boat off the trailer? I have seen people have this problem if they try to run there boats once they hit the water. I walk my boat off the trailer and by the time I do that and the driver of my truck gets parked, My pump is loaded and ready to go. Maybe you should just wait a few seconds 15-45 and then fire it up.
    HBjet

Jake W
    Or just buy a Prime a Jet from Duane at HTP drill and tap a hole in you bowl for it screw it in and never worrie about it agine.I have a droop on mine ant it would do the same thing with the bucket open or shut.So I put a Prime a jet on and no worries now.Duanes is 49 bucks.
    Jake

Jake W
    Hey do you have any pics of that Southwind on the water?You bought it not to long ago how do you like it?
    Jake

mrgoslow
    i run a droop and had that problem. the prime a jet took away 90% of it. but while were on the topic of pump loading, this question is directed to the haul ass guys w/ big hp. do you ever come unloaded on rollers @ WOT and if so, how are those tenz-alum impellors holding up to 700 hp and/or 5600 rpm's.
    our lake is a little rough (lake corpus christi) but my alum, which came from ca btw, ate its own ass and my boat turned the A 5100 @ 77 & change.
    i have ordered but not yet received a new A mag bronze to rectify. was that overkill?

Danhercules
    Jake W:
    Hey do you have any pics of that Southwind on the water?You bought it not to long ago how do you like it?
    Jake No water pics. I was out the 4th and waiting for my Buddy to get the film developed. I will get some Digi pics this weekend. I will post em.
    I love it. This winter I am gonna do the pump. Other than that, Its great!!! $2500.00 I cant beat it!!! [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/467Left_front.jpg[/img]

HBjet
    I run an aluminum right now (Legend B) and the only reason I am is because we finished the pump before the motor, and after we finished the pump the motor project took another direction. So, I am concerned about this impeller but I do take it easy over rollers. The only time I'm at WOT is when the water looks right. If there are rollers, I just cruise over them and the pump sometimes gets unloaded, but I'm not on the gas hard when it loads back up again. I actually have a deal pending for a stainless and should know in a week or two whether is goes through or not.
    Good Luck!
    HBjet
    [ July 18, 2003, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

wrightnow
    As you can see I had aluminum 'B' that just took a shit, MPD says it was from too much HP causing flexing and something getting get between the wear ring.
    I have been running this for about 4 years without any problems though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast