Thread: Head shaving

Sleek-Jet
    Anyone have any experience with Dick Miller for head work? I checked on the realoldspower site and all I could find is how Mondello and Dick Miller don't like each other.
    I want to get my heads shaved and a port and polish done.

Jungle Boy
    You may get better response in the gear head forum.

HOOTER SLED-
    You wanna go to Dick to get head? That sounds funny.

Sleekjet- You can port and polish the heads yourself and save a ton of money in the process-Do some research on the realoldspower site, get a good 1/4" die grinder, and go to town! I just finshed mine- I have about 45 hrs in them- I ground out the AIR bumps, polished and opened up the exhaust ports, port matched the intake ports and intake itself, did some minor bowl work (radiused and blended the short side radiuses(sp?) into the valve seat area, and polished the chambers. I also filled the exhaust crossovers with aluminum, and ported those exhaust bowls to match the outside ones. I am not a porting expert by any means, but just about ANYTHING you do to a stock Olds head will improve the flow! I HOPE!!! we will see when the 12-18" of ice melts off the lake! eek! Anyway, go get a junk head from a local boneyard, and practice on that BEFORE you try to do your heads, to get a feel for it.As far as shaving the heads- the stock steel shim head gaskets were .017 thick, and are very hard to find- The replacements (Fel-Pro, etc.) are approx .043 compressed, so you can safely shave about .025 off the heads, and still maintain the factory lifter preload using stock valvetrain parts. Good luck! Stan

Sleek-Jet
    Hooter Sled - I almost said I wanted to get them polished, but that would have been to easy.
    Marlin455 - After spending the day doing a bunch of research, I might just do as you suggested. Since boating season is still about 4-5 months away, that sould give me enough time. As far as keeping the stock valve train, all of that is going in a box on the shelf and an adjustable valve train is getting installed.
    Do you have any pics of the ports after you were done with them? Would appreciate it.
    [ February 06, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

Bow Tie Omega
    I believe my dad (v-drive) had all of his motor work done by Dick Miller. He has not ran it yet, but he seems very pleased with the work so far.

Sleek-Jet
    Great, keep us posted on how it runs.