Thread: changing steering cables

AC
    I just pulled the old stiff cable out of my boat and I needed to know if the new cable I need to order will come with the steering box at the end of the cable? If not is it easy to disassemble?

JetBoatRich
    I changed mine on the last boat I had it came with the box wink

Mohavekid
    I believe you can order just the cable if that's all you need.
    Check with Rex Marine or CP Performance they should be able to help you out.
    The job is not too hard, the touhgest part is snaking the cable up along the gunnel.

JetBoatRich
    I bought the kit when I did mine, he is right in some cases you can just get the cable. Depends on the style

jim@pj
    It depends on the type of steering system that you have. The command 200 rack and pinion cable has a square rack riveted to the cable and it can't be taken off. If the rack is round it may be a ride guide round rack and the cable comes off. It doesn't sound like you have a rotary rack, which is just the cable. Get the good cable when you replace the one you have or it won't last . Jim
    www.performancejet.com

ezstriper
    Depeding on how old the boat is if you can even get the cable, I ran into that a while back my
    old(72) chris xk-18 they no longer made that style cable anymore and I had to change everything
    maybe your ok and can get just the cable, but while your at it check the shaft under the sterring wheel as I actually ran into another boat
    where the shaft had frozen in the hub and the cable was fine. Little wd40 and it was fine Rob

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    SOMETIMES HEATING IT CAREFULLY WITH A TORCH, SPRAYING IT WITH CRC MARINE 5*56 AND TRYING IT, THEN REPEAT. I DID THAT FOR 2 DAYS AND STILL ENDED UP REPLACING MY STEERING CABLE!(QUICK SILVER CABLE W/ A 3 YR WARRANTEE)!(A MERCRUISER PART).

JetBoatRich
    I had the same problem as EXSTRIPER and had to change the whole thing, From the Steering wheel back wink