Thread: Why can some run a small block?

core attitude
    I know that big blocks win the war but how come all those white water racers run built small blocks? Is it due to the overall weight of the boat or some type of class restriction? Some of those boats get up and go and I've always liked the sound of a small block at high rpm.
    Pete

Jungle Boy
    core attitude:
    I know that big blocks win the war but how come all those white water racers run built small blocks? Is it due to the overall weight of the boat or some type of class restriction? Some of those boats get up and go and I've always liked the sound of a small block at high rpm.
    PeteWhitewater boats like to be light. There are plenty of big blocks and the 4 time world champ has a 600ci BB ford. Unlimited is anything you can afford to run (blowers, turbos, over 470ci ect); "A" class is up to 470ci; "B" class is up to 366ci; "C" class is generaly up to 360ci. It is up to the individual on what he wants to run. The small blocks are build very strong and spin 5800 to 6800 rpm for 500 mile in a marathon race. The big blocks don't need to run that rpm so they tend to be a bit more reliable. Check out the Eagle tunnel thread; that boat is running a 454ci small block (650HP) and pulls 105 to 107 at 3600'altitude.

core attitude
    But how about in a recreational boat. I saw the thread you are speaking of and that's what got me wondering.
    Pete

Jungle Boy
    core attitude:
    But how about in a recreational boat. I saw the thread you are speaking of and that's what got me wondering.
    PeteI guess it depends on boat weight and want you want. For me, I'll take a good small block any day. Both rec boats that I've had run small block and they run fine. 383ci strokers work very good and weigh 200 lbs less once you have got the marine gear on them. For some of the lake guys I know that it is a macho thing. They don't like to get beat in a race by me but they like the look of a big engine in their slow lake boats. Just my opinion.

core attitude
    Jungle Boy, have you found there are differances in boat set up (pump, loader etc.)that compliment a small block vs. a big block or is it just dependent on the hull?
    Pete

Jungle Boy
    We don't have a loader grate on the boats we run. With a big block they generally can run a bigger impeller that the small blocks. A2 conmpared to a B, depending on the RPM they like to run their engines at. As far as set up of the pump goes, it just depends on the way you feel comfortable with how the boat flies. The boat in the video is the owner of Eagle and he's got 20+ years racing experience and he's one of the best in the world. He likes his boats set up on edge. I would not feel good about riding with someone else in a boat set up like that but he's very good and knows the limits.