Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve Covers

rsr
    Pulled off cover today to do some minor cleanup before next weekends trip to the rio and discovered that my recently installed polished aluminum valve covers were in bad shape. Water spots from hell!!! Polished them up using mothers, got a decent shine back, but still have some brown water spot shadows on the covers? What gives with aluminum valve covers - I got these from CP before the start of summer - They've never seemed very 'shiny', have been a constant b**** to keep clean, and am wondering if they were really worth it. Anybody have any secrets to keeping aluminum valve covers in decent shape or getting water spots out? (I did clean up the covers after the last trip, recent water spots were from condensation under the cover during our recent monssonal humidity I guess). Thanks in advance for any and all help.

1slowboat
    idea get some zoop seal, polish the valve covers with a power polisher and use the zoopseal cleaner and fallow all directions closely....it is a couple of steps but the shine will look new for a long time,... i have polished valve covers on my boat too and know what you mean...hope that this helps

Mohavekid
    Go get them chromed.
    Much more shine and much less polishing.

rsr
    Mohave Kid - I've thought about chroming them - had chromies on my 455 (now runnin 454). Q - Can I chrome the aluminum ones or will I have to chrom the old cast ones? Thanks!

rsr
    slowboat - Where can I get the zoop seal - what exactly is it? If you run the polished aluminum you know what I mean - was told they would be a pain but never expected them to be this bad. Thanks!

FastRat1
    there is a product called MAAS polishing creme..u can get it at any Ace Hardware...its like toothpaste..u use very little and i guarentee it works..i just did an alum scoop and it came out better than new (like a mirror) also..there's a product called "Bartenders Keeper" which u can get at Wal-Mart..its like cleanser..many people in here use it to get the blueing off there headers..works on all medals...just trying to help
    Ron

rsr:
    slowboat - Where can I get the zoop seal - what exactly is it? If you run the polished aluminum you know what I mean - was told they would be a pain but never expected them to be this bad. Thanks! You can buy it directly from Zoops .
    I think I have also seen it in either the Jegs or Summit catalogs.

1slowboat
    oldsquirt, you got to it before me, thanks.,....zoops will keep them looking new for 3 years with no polishing between....bad a@# product....
    just my 2 cents

Mohavekid
    RSR, a good chrome shop can do the polished aluminum no problem.

dossangers
    The problem is the metal is pot metal it dosnt polih good im having mine chromed now ive tried every thing they shine but not that good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast