Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optima Batteries

Taylorman
    Im thinking about buying an Optima battery. Are they worth the money? I just read about them on their web sight and looks like the blue top with dark grey case is their marine cranking battery. What do you guys think?

rivercrazy
    IMO they are worth the dough. The yellow top and blue top are the same with exception of the terminals. The blue top has both the traditional stud type and also the wing nut connections. There is a marine starting and marine deep cycle. The starting is a light grey case, the deep cycle is the dark grey case. Deep cycles will also start you boat without problems. If your gonna be running stereo with decent power get the deep cycle, otherwise the starting battery will do you fine wink

TANK
    I have no experience with the marine optimas,but if they are the same quality as the automotive ones they are worth the money.We have had one in our tow truck for about two years and I have put it through hell and it has always come through for me.TANK

boatlessd
    I had one in my car with stereo running over 1000 watts with an over 80amp drain and never had a problem with recharging. They are pretty amazing batteries.

lilrick
    I have one in my boat in AZ and seems to withstand heat well unlike most other bats, I'm happy.

Liberator TJ1984
    I have units that are run in severe heat and vibrations here in the oilfield end of things and switched to Optimas after repeat failures by other brands......the Optima batteries are proven and tested...the only problem I've seen is a friend went to recharge one too fast and left charger on all night..burned up cells...probably 75% of boaters down here run them including myself...from what stands,yes they are worth the cost...

stressedout
    I have been runnin the same optima battery in my hydro since 94, I think it's one of the first ones made. It's an awsome battery, well worth the extra money.It never discharges.

PussyPusher
    Saw this thread thought I would add my .02. I have a very good friend that runs an off-road race truck in all kinds of events here on the west coast. The Optima batteries are the only ones he will use. These things are very tough.
    If you have a Costco near by you can get them there for $99.99
    Shawn

Froggystyle
    I agree that the Optima is the best sealed, 12 Volt battery around. If you need to mount it upside down, or sideways for some reason, you will not be able to beat it.
    What are you running with it? For most Marine applications there are better batteries available.
    Marine starting/charging is harder on batteries than automotive applications. With a stereo application, you will often run it to near flat, and then charge it for 20 minutes going home. This will decrease the life of the battery significantly. A good vented lead/acid battery will usually out-perform an Optima, and take a higher charge for longer.
    I switched from Optimas to 12 volt Trojan deep cycles. They work better for starting, take a better charge, and you can check the electrolyte if you want and add water once a year.
    For the stereo application, I am now running four 6 volt Trojans in series, then parallel to get 12 volts. The amp/hours are WAY better than the best 12 volts, as you are able to put more burly cells in each battery. (1/2 the cells, same weight) The 6 volts are used in golf carts, where they go down to dead flat every day, and are charged by a 60 amps every night. The Trojans usually last 4 years at this rate. Smokes the automotive types.
    As for results, I have been seen cranking over 1600 watts continuously for 8+ hours, driving from Yuma to Parker and cranking another 4, and the voltage never dropped below 12.2. Friggin amazing. I am a big fan.
    Oh, by the way... the 6 volt Trojan is around $60! It takes two to get twelve volts, but you are still under the cost of one Optima, and have almost triple the amp/hours and amperage.
    Squirts up.

AntRant
    I love my Blue Top!!
    [ July 23, 2002, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: AntRant ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast