Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: timing

mikey-jones
    how far advanced are all of you running your timing on your jet boats? should it be the same as if the motor was in a car or does it make a big difference on a boat?

RandyH
    mikey-jones:
    how far advanced are all of you running your timing on your jet boats? should it be the same as if the motor was in a car or does it make a big difference on a boat?36 Degrees Locked at full advance. Don't know all the reasons for 36 , but the locked advance is working well. I still can't believe the thing starts and it does everytime. I hope things don't change as my batteries get older. Its a Big Block Chevy.

squirts
    I run at 35 degrees. Its also a BBC

HighRoller
    RandyH,I have a tip for you that my buddy turned me on to.If you run a non-computer engine on a jet turn the water inlet valve all the way open.Running your engine that cold does nothing to harm your performance,as a matter of fact once you find out what temp this runs your engine at you can rejet leaner to compensate,therefore more fuel mileage and power.Also you never have hot start problems,which is critical in your case with locked advance.I'm more conservative but my buddy runs an adjust a jet at the equivalent of a low to mid 60 jet(Holley)while I run low 70.He gets almost 4mpg with a big block/jet!

77charger
    38 total with a bbf 11-1 motor on nos.

Infomaniac
    mikey-jones:
    how far advanced are all of you running your timing on your jet boats? should it be the same as if the motor was in a car or does it make a big difference on a boat?What gas and compression? That will determine how much TOTAL timing you can get away with.

mikey-jones
    comp is 10.1 on 91 oct. pump gas

RandyH
    HighRoller,
    Thanks for the tip. My new Ultra/jet had no valve on the water inlet so I put one in. I leave it wide open for now and have been running about 130 degrees water temp. mostly. Its also been very easy to start, especially warm. I may be alittle rich now by looking at the plugs.
    I have the 6M2 MSD ignition and I wonder if it retards the timing at low RPM? I have read that some do if you turn on that feature but this Marine model has no setup switches.
    thanks again,
    Randy
    [ September 22, 2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: RandyH ]

Infomaniac
    Depending on the operating temp as previously mentioned, I think 36 might be pushing it.
    Personally I would set it at 32 degrees TOTAL. Try advancing it 2 degrees TOTAL from there. If you do not get any more RPM's or speed after advancing. Put it back to 32. If you do get some increase, leave it there. Better safe than sorry.
    Try and set up your ignition system to advance as fast as possible. wink wink wink wink

homeblt86jet
    running to cold does cause dammage,.....dont know why but if you run a motor to cold it causes your motor to wear out faster....best temp is around 190...for best life....just a thought...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast