Thread: Spark plugs - are "marine" plugs better?

Rivernut
    I have AC MR43LTS plugs in my small-block (Vortec) Chevy jet bass boat. Nobody carries them around here without charging $30+ for 8 of them. Can't I use the auto versions? I don't use my boat in salt water and they get wet in car engines anyway with rain, snow, etc. and work fine. What differences are there between marine plugs and auto ones? I also can't find the equivalent in an NGK or better quality plug. Any suggestions?

BK
    Not sure of the differance but I have allways used regular (auto) plugs in my boat. I think as long as you have the correct heat range for your application you'll be fine.

Rivernut, you made me curious. I checked at the AC Delco site and found this:
    "Marine Plugs — feature special shells that protect against water penetration and corrosion."
    I also check the Champion site. Their marine plugs have stainless steel shells as opposed to zink-plated steel.
    The automotive equivalent of that plug would be
    AC R43LTS.
    [ October 06, 2002, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

Mopar426
    I know most Vortec engines use double, tripple, or quad platnum plugs because of the ignition system. The marine version should still be double platnum if not tripple. Bosch is where to look for an alternative to AC. I run Bosch quads on my 7.4 Vortec and doubles on my 426 boat motor. They last a long time and the best thing is no gap needed, install and go!!