Thread: Pump Question

dawgdude
    Took my pump out of the boat for paint work and decided to rebuild it due age. Got the pump out of the boat ok. I then took the reverse gate off and then the steering noozle,,,no problem there. Now I'm trying to pull the bowl off. I took all the bolts out from the front of the bowl and then this,,,. Looking from the back end towards the front theres a end cap with a slot that looks as if its screwed into the pump shaft. I'm thinking this has to be removed before the bowl will split. Is there a tool that is used to remove this cap or do I need to get the welder out and fab one up. I looked at numerous previous search posts and found nothing. This is my first pump rebuild.

Hal
    No you don't have to remove that cap to get the bowl off. Use a couple of screwdrivers and pry the bowl back. The shaft and the bushings may create a vacuum when its coming apart and it will seem like something is holding it on but it will come off. If in doubt read the manual...
    Pump overhaul manual

dawgdude
    I had checked this manual before and saw nothing about the peice I'm refering to, it's just that the bowl is super tight and I didn't want to screw anything up. Also the BOZO that had the boat before me used a ton of silicone to put it back together. I was using the screw driver method and wasn't having to much luck. Guess I'll go try a little harder. Thanks for the info Hal

HammerDown
    Try to break the seal with a very thin putty knife.

screamdreambrad
    dawgdude, i had theat problem the first time i rebuilt mine too. cheap bastards use a gallon of silicone instead of a gasket. take a piece of square tubing, drill three holes. one in the center for a bolt to push on the shaft, and two to bolt to the back of the bowl. where the droop, or nozzle bolts up. put some pressure on it and let it set like that. later put some more pressure, and it will gradually push itself apart. worked for me. brad

Unchained
    To get the bowl off put the two top bowl bolts 1/2 way in and you can pry against the head of the bolts and against the hand hole cover casting.

Cavefish
    That gizmo you can see from the back with the screwdriver slot in it is a cover for the bowl bushing area, if you take it off you will be looking at the back end of the shaft.
    Keep after it, the things are not hard to work on at all. When you go to re-assemble, do whatever you have to to to get the clearances right on, it makes all the difference in the world.

Cavefish
    Uhm, and I should have added:
    You don't need to remove the bushing cap to take the bowl off, but if you are going to follow a previous suggestion and make a puller, you will need access to the end of the shaft.
    On clearances and re-assembly, just post again, or you could get a Selco manual from Jack McClure at MPD.

dawgdude
    The thin putty knife worked. He just had way to much silicon cramed in it. Still gotta get the end cap off so I can change the bearing but thats next weeks episode. Thanks for all the help.