Thread: FLOORING

hickz3
    I'm putting a new floor in my boat. I bought a sheet of marine grade plywood - OUCH $$$$, and was wondering whether I should run the 2x4 supports length or width wise. Any advantages to either. I was thinking width wise would be better structurally and so the someday-will-be-made seats will have a little extra to be held with. Anybody??
    P.S. You are dealing with a rookie who is completely redoing boat (except motor this year).

Backtanner
    I went width wise with mine when I did it a few years back. Very easy and was done in no-time.

hickz3
    I forgot. I lowered the floor slightly, have the sheet of plywood edges sanded down so it sits flat, so I don't know if I go width wise if I should make the boards come all the way to the edge of the plywood. I would have to taper the ends. Or should I just put them the width of the subfloor.

hoolign
    Are you talking about glassing 2x4's width wise on the hull to put your floor on?

Backtanner
    I glassed three pieces of 2x4 between stringers. One up front by the firewall, one middle, and the last one in front of the bilge area. Floorboard set right on top and was screwed into the 2x4s then glassed over sealing everything up.

Duke
    Backtanner:
    I glassed three pieces of 2x4 between stringers. One up front by the firewall, one middle, and the last one in front of the bilge area. Floorboard set right on top and was screwed into the 2x4s then glassed over sealing everything up. I'm no expert, but i thought that the floor wasnt supposed to be completely sealed...
    if water gets in there(under the floor, with the 2x4's), there's no way out for it, which leads to wood rot...

hickz3
    Yes it will all be sealed with fibreglass, as for Duke, it was thinking of drilling some holes out the bottom of the 2x4's so that water could pass through if I go width wise. I plan on having the floor looking as if there are NO seams. That's the plan at least. If I can get my own computer running right I'll post the pictures of what it looks like now so you can get a better idea.

hoolign
    I just redid my stringers and floor last summer,
    let me tell you, it was not fun!all because the prior owner did'nt have drains put in when he did it.
    Havasu barney had lots of good advice