Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions/Advice Wanted 460 Ford mods

HotHallet
    I have a 460 Ford in my 19 Hallett with an Isky 280 Mega Hydraulic flat tappet camshaft, 10 qt. pan, and pretty much stock internals. Had it apart a year ago and everything looked fine internally. I have a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads and a Weiand tunnel ram with two 450's( I know the carbs are probably too small)ready to go on. Do I need to spend some money on beefing up the bottom end or just run it. I thought about changing the cam to a roller set up and switching the carbs to 650's. I need advice! Don't want to spin that motor to hard with stock internals and I know that will not change until the pump work is done. Boat has a 12JC Berk with A impeller and manual diverter, Boat runs great now up to about 4,600 but I am looking for just a little more top end. Some have suggested switching the rockers and adding ARP rod bolts and going with it. I need to GPS the boat again but figure it goes about 61-62 MPH. Would like to 65-67.

flat broke
    Senor Hallet,
    If all you are looking for is 67mph, you're not going to need that much more RPM and I'd say the most you have to do to the bottom end (asside from a clearance check etc) is the ARP bolts in the rods. Honestly with the parts you have in hand, you should be setting your goals a little higher Think about how fast you ultimately want to go. Once you hit 67, you'll want 70, then 75, so on and so forth. Figure out how fast you want to go compared to how much you want to spend, and then build to be reliable at the best compromise for the speed and price. It doesn't make sense to spend money to build it again for 67mph if you know you're going to want 75mph down the road. Pay once, cry once. BTW, I know this guy running a nice 460 stroker combo that you can probably get some ideas off of.
    Chris

Danhercules
    Hey HH,
    I have a 460 also and dont know much about them. I started a thread on "gear heads" I am getting a ton of info. check it out. The thread is "super cobra jet heads" Or somthin like that.

LakesOnly
    HotHallet:
    I have a 460 Ford in my 19 Hallett with an Isky 280 Mega Hydraulic flat tappet camshaft, 10 qt. pan, and pretty much stock internals.HotHallet, I have the same camshaft, an Isky 280 Mega cam. There are two profiles: .565/232@.050"/110* & .565/232@.050"/108* Which one do you have?
    [b]I have a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads and a Weiand tunnel ram with two 450's( I know the carbs are probably too small)ready to go on. While the carbs will run, they are too small for the 460. I am running two 660's with the same cam, and if I wanted, could probably run two 750's.
    [b]Do I need to spend some money on beefing up the bottom end or just run it. I thought about changing the cam to a roller set up and switching the carbs to 650's. You have a few options for motor set-up with the components you have. If your engine is together and running now, then just run it. Mine originally had passenger car rods too, but with Milodon bolts. It went to 4800 rpm all day long. Considering the way you want to set your motor up, just do the bolt-on stuff now (T/R w/450's) and when it's time to rebuild your shortblock, you can get the right pistons for those heads and better rods/bolts too.
    [b]I...don't want to spin that motor too hard with stock internals (and I know I will not change them until the pump work is done. Boat has a 12JC Berk with A impeller and manual diverter, Boat runs great now up to about 4,600 but I am looking for just a little more top end.To acheive the speed you wish--and possibly faster--you can do it with your current cam. My boat goes 80 mph with that cam.
    I think your stock rods and bolts are good to 5000 rpm. Jet boat motors are subject to a lot of load when your floor it and if you want to go run more than 5000 rpm sustained, then you should get nice aftermarket rod bolts, preferably better rods too.
    [b]Some have suggested switching the rockers and adding ARP rod bolts and going with it. I need to GPS the boat again but figure it goes about 61-62 MPH. Would like to 65-67. Roller rockers for those sustained rpm's would be nice.
    This possibility of a roller cam, though, points you in the direction of a whole different motor....
    LO

HotHallet
    Thanks for all the info! I am still debating.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    go roller and never look back. BTW I spin my ford 5300rpm on the stock rod bolts(footballs) and 2 bolt main(stock bolts). been doing it for 4 years now. but then again I only have one carb. wink those BBF are tougher than you think.
    Omega
    [ August 05, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET ]

go for the 4.5 inch stroked crankshaft. entire kit including crank, rods, pitons, rings and bearings for $1600. i just finished one in a new tx-19 hull and its not dialed yet but is turning a double A impellor 5200-5400 rpm with mild cam. mild mannered low maintenance moter.

Ranz1
    okiedave, WERE DID OU GET THAT KIT??

LakesOnly
    OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
    ...I spin my ford 5300rpm on the stock rod bolts(footballs) and 2 bolt main(stock bolts). Been doing it for 4 years now...those BBF are tougher than you think.
    Omega I gots ta say.....I've been hearing so much favorable testimony about the strength of factory Ford rods that I am beginning to believe I have been much too conservative in my estimations about their strength in this application.
    Great news.
    LO

oldphart
    Ive got a similar kit, 514 inches made by eagle. I paid a little over $1400.00 for it balanced but that was a little over a year ago

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast