Thread: Setting a record?

jetaddict
    Why is there a need to back up a speed record by 1% or whatever it is.If you went that fast once on a cops radar I do not believe you would have to back it up at 1%!!! At least I did'nt, towing my boat at 80 mph up Highway 101. Oops!

Should have asked the cop if he would let you try it again. Double or nothing.

greg shoemaker
    Sometimes when drag racing there is a hot lane that will give you a fast time. It is also required to run in the opposite lane when backing up a record. Greg

UBFJ #454
    Does NHRA or IHRA require back-up runs?

Bear, for a track record, no. For a national record, yes.

Craig
    The back ups help weed out "fluke" runs. Someone can be on a fairly good pass and sometimes some trash or debris can blow through the lights, tripping them early, or some other electronic malfunction. Having a guy do it twice anytime during the event can reduce the chance of this. Perfect example is the first 5 second Top Fuel pass. Tommy Ivo gets some of the credit for doing it, yet after that run he never got close to 5.99 again. I believe he was running at a track in PA that had notoriusly "fast" clocks. Mike Snivley ran a "5" a little while later in 1972 at Ontario and continued to run in that same ET range. So each takes credit for the first 5, but most give it to Snivley because he could back it up.
    Craig