Thread: engine removal question

FordTech
    I am removing an engine from my glasstron. it has a je pump and the engine is a 460. my question is I see the drive shaft is bolted to the flex plate with what looks like 12 point 7\16 bolts. is the other end of the drive shaft splined? engine is locked up and dont see a way to remove the bolts on the flex plate. I was wondering if I could remove the engine with out removing the bolts. any help would be appreciated.

Wet Dream
    Yes, it is splined. When everything is loose, pull the engine forward and it'll come out.

FordTech
    that will work out perfect. thanks.

sidewound
    In the beginning I didn't know that and fought mine one click at a time on the rachet to get it loose, only to find that when I pulled on the shaft it came right out of the pump. Good work guys you saved this guy some crap.

Moomawnster
    His motor is locked up ! He's already got enough crap! eek! If ya need info on the j/e I have pictures of almost everything ..... Moo

superV
    I ve got the the same boat with the same problem! So is all i have to do is undo the motor mounts, wires, linkage and it is ready to come out or what?

Bense468
    yeah its that easy. Out in an hour. Just a word of advise for you guys though. Make sure after you yank the motor that you look at the pump shaft splines to make sure they are not twisted or damaged. This happened to mine. If they are you will never get the motor to shove back on. Also grease it up and it goes on better.
    [ July 28, 2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Bense468 ]

superV
    Bense468:
    yeah its that easy. Out in an hour. Just a word of advise for you guys though.grease it up and it goes on better. Thats what she said!

Blown 472
    Put some anti seize on the splines and the coupler, slides right in.