Thread: Braided hoses,What valves ?

SangerSteve
    1st timer. Iv'e got an 18 ft. bubble deck 1978 Sanger. powered by a balanced 460 ford,.030 over its got dove c heads (ported and polished) flat tops, comp cam,sanderson racing headers,berkley 12JG pump.torker2 intake, holley 750 double pumper(ive got a weind tunnel ram but im waiting to get it polished and put a couple of 600's on top with some velocity stacks.this thing screams,iwant to dress the engine up and am thinking of braiding all my lines, for starters.what braided line and fittings should i use, aeroquip, earls, keith black,others?also where can i find the valves to match? (the ones that regulate the flow of water to the block and either to the headers or out, thru the transom.)any pointers on braidedhoses and fittings would be a plus. anyway,ilove reading all of the info you guys (and gals) have, this boat has become an obsession and a money pit. i bought it last year and the obsession is driving my girlfriend nuts, nobody in this stupid hic town i live in has a boat like mine they all have reinells and gayliners. at last i have someone that can relate to jetboats.and answer questions. its great.

Bense468
    Where are you from? I have a catalog. It is a Jaz products catalog believe it or not. It has all the fittings, The water valves also.
    XRP makes some really nice stuff. So does cherry. I would go with the xrp hose and fittings and I am sure they have the valves also if they don't order it from Jaz.
    Remember this the hose is cheap it is the fittings that are expensive. Does make your setup look way better though. Good luck http://www.xrp.com/

Sanger Steve
    thanks for the tip,ill check out the site,are braided hoses a pain in the ass? i heard they were. ill give it a shot. Yerington,NV. about 80 miles SouthWest of Reno.

LVjetboy
    One thing about fittings and hoses, make sure the hose your buy is made for the fittings. There are differences in OD depending on manuf. for the same ID, and a mis-match makes for one h*ll of a time getting the fitting on.
    jer

Bense468
    I have never had any real problems. The only thing I would suggest is when you are putting the fitting on keep pressure on it until you get at least a few threads screwed on. It is only aluminum and you can jack the threads up. Let a buddy help me, he would take his hads off to reposition when he had like on thread holding it. It striped. YOu will understand what I am talking about when you do this. I don't think it is hard at all. Come on we are boaters we can do anything. RIGHT?

Q-ball
    Hey Sanger Steve, whats up?!? I live just down the road from you in Hawthorne. Give me an e-mail if you ever come down to Walker. Later, Q

DickDanger
    Steve, since I am nearing completion on the very project that you are going to start,let me give you some tips....
    1. Measure your lengths of hose, and have the shop that you are buying the braided stuff from cut it to length for you. They recommend that if you are going to cut it yourself, using a hacksaw with new blade, with duct tape wrapped around the area you are going to cut. This takes forever, and the cut will not be as clean as they can do it.
    2. Be careful when tightening the fittings, as they have a tendency to scratch VERY easy. I was wrapping a cloth around my fittings, and then tightening them. When I say that they scratch easy, I mean....THEY SCRATCH EASY!!!!
    3. Wear leather gloves. Invariably, I have about 30 cuts on my fingers from the sharp ends of the line where the cut is. Even with the gloves, some of the steel will still poke you, and that shit hurts!!!
    4. Dont rip all of the hose out at once, unless you know exactly what hose goes where, otherwise if you take it all out as once, you may not remember where everything goes.
    5. I asked about using teflon tape on the threads, and was told that it doesnt really matter, so I did just to be on the safe side.
    Hope this helps, and good luck!!! -DD Out
    [This message has been edited by DickDanger (edited July 01, 2002).]
    [This message has been edited by DickDanger (edited July 01, 2002).]