Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock Grate VR'S Loader Grate

SQUIRRELY
    I have a WJ Jacuzzi,Thats been flowed and matched to go with my motor.I have a stock grate,Because I was told that a good loader grate will not work for my pump.(I think that it will work).
    Need help with this question please.Does any one know where I can get a loader grate.Thanks Squirrely

Moomawnster
    These folks may be able to help you out ... http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/Loaders.html

waterslinger
    Squirrely, Not sure on you pump but on my JE
    berc. I got a solid 3mph on a loader from Tim
    Spear. Looks like the 1st one in the pic on
    MPD's web site. Easy speed but you will have less
    right out of the gate. If you do a lot of water sports
    you will not be able to just snap them up.
    WATERSLINGER

disco_charger
    I'm going to throw in my .02 and it's probably not going to be very popular. Just bolting hi-perf parts on your jet boat is not always going to net the results you want. You can't go to CP, buy every hi-perf kit in the catalog, and bolt it up to make it faster. Jet boats are all about set up. You can have big hp, but if your combo on the pump is wrong, then you're out.
    That being said, a loader can help. However, your pump being set up right is a bigger deal. Is it tight? Are you running the right amount of wedge? Which impeller are you running/what kind off hp/what are you mostly doing with the boat? What does the bottom of your boat do? Is there a lot of wetted surface, does your boat "get up" on the water, or does it have a pretty big hook? Should you be running a droop? You would be better served to find a good pump man (I'm not framiliar with No Cal) but you could call Jack at MPD, or Greg @ GS and see what they think. Those two people have been doing it correctly for a long time.
    Remember, Jet boats are about combo's that work. The fancy fix all might not be right for your needs.
    Disco, the angry little boater

Heatseeker
    Another issue to consider with loaders: sucking foriegn objects into the pump. I've run a loader for the last season, and I've had to dig out all kinds of stuff from the pump. I recently had to remove the bowl to retrieve a large rock that got wedged in my impeller at CFW. When I tried to get it loose, it fell back into the bowl. I never had any of these problems with the stock grate. If you do any boating in shallow or dirty water, you're going to pick stuff up into the pump. I may not run it next season. The 4 mph gain is hardly worth it.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    HAVE YOU TRIED THE SEMI HIGH HORSE POWER GRATES FROM C P PERFORMONCE? I WAS THINKING OF RUNNING ONE OF THOSE BECAUSE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO LOAD THE IMPELLER, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY TO ME IT HAS THE GRATE TO KEEP THE JUNK IN BOSTON HARBOR, NOT IN MY PUMP(PART NO. 620-103112).

jim@pj
    There are loaders for Jaccuzi wj s and they will help you load the jet for better performance. No question. Rocks are another thing but you shouldn't be running your jet in shallow water any way, if you can help it. Jim

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    I'VE SEEN GETTING MUCH BETTER ABOUT STAYING OUT OF SHALLOW WATER THE LAST COUPLE YEARS, BUT WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE THE TIDES SOMETIMES IT'S TOUGH. IN THE WATER I RUN IN IT IS A $100. TICKET IF YOUR CAUGHT GOING MORE THANK NO WAKE SPEED UNLESS YOUR 150 FT FROM THE SHIPPING CHANNEL'S EDGE, WHICH AT DEAD LOW TIDE IS DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE. SO I TRY TO CONTAIN MYSELF 'TIL I GET OUT PAST BUOY MARKER 24, ABOUT A 3 MILE RUN AT NOT MUCH MORE THAN IDLE!...BILL.

mrgoslow
    squirrely, ive tried two other aftermarket loaders in my boat besides the grate. the grate if i remember was a little faster, within 1 mph, but i chose to run a loader grate because our lake gets a little rough and i tend to put it to the wood anyway and the loader helps keep me from unloading in my moments of bad judgement.
    im currently changing the pump by adding a dominator bowl and impellor which could make the loader a necessity if flow increases like i hope. if you would like info after complete, just send me a pm.

jim@pj
    Man how does Bill drive for 3 miles at idle speed I couldn't do it.
    Another little tid bit about loaders. To my understanding loader need is baed more on boat speed than anything else. When a jet boat runs over 55 mph the water into the intake cannot adhere to the top side of the suction housing thus allowing an air pocket to form around the upper 1/3 of the impeller. At this point the impeller is not fully loaded and begins to loose effiency. It may not be something that you really notice unless you are getting high speed cavitation. When this happens you will not pull all the way to the top of yout rpm limit. If the pull drops off and your rpm goes further you may be into high speed slip. A loader will stop this problem. If you do have a loader and your pump is falling off on the top then other problems may exist. The bigger, heavier boats that arn't as fast will have less of a problem with loading. I have not had a customer to date that has not seen improvement with my loaders. Some loader styles may be too aggressive for some boats and may cause cavitation out of the hole, that is why I offer 3 styles. Jim www.performancejet.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast