Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone running a fliud damper

jstwkd
    Does anyone run one of these.I bought one and ended up with an internally balanced one for a BBC.I needed an external one.Before I spend more money to make it work is it a good idea?Cant return I lost the original box.

LVjetboy
    Not sure how well they work, but I like the handy timing marks...also looks trick. How much does it cost to convert your Fluid to external? Also your rotating assembly may need rebalancing with the Fluid Damper counterweight. That's what kept me from buying one.
    jer

blowngas
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by jstwkd:
    [QB]Does anyone run one of these.I bought one and ended up with an internally balanced one for a BBC.I needed an external one.Before I spend more money to make it work is it a good idea?Cant return I lost the original box.
    a good fluiddamper is one of the best investments that you can spend $ on---it will definitely extend the life of your motor---if u are running a oem (not recently balanced) motor, the rotating assemblys can really be off---there are lots of sites that you can list yours for sale at no cost---lots of times u can find used ones---I run one on my race (balanced) motor---DO NOT run an internal balancer(427) on an external balanced (454)for any reason--it will hurt your motor---and yes, the timing marks make it nice to tune

Froggystyle
    I JUST put one on PickleTheLoad's Shadow, and still have the box, although ours is externally balanced. We bought it from Summit for around $320 after spinning his stock-type balancer at around 6700 rpms. Lucky we didn't lose it. Timing mark was 110 degrees off when we were done.
    I am a big fan of the Fluidampr. I put them on all of the high performance applications I build. One is imminent in OTR.
    Bolted right in too. Make sure you chase the threads of the pulley before threading in hardware though.
    Squirts up!

Boater Bill
    The only way to make the one you have work is to convert your engine to internal balance which is going to be much more $ than buying the correct one. I'm not a big fan of Fluidampner 'cause I had a bad experience with one, and have friends (cars) who have had the same experience as well. IMO if you are not making big revs the stock dampners are fine.

565edge
    jstwkd:
    Does anyone run one of these.I bought one and ended up with an internally balanced one for a BBC.I needed an external one.Before I spend more money to make it work is it a good idea?Cant return I lost the original box.If you decide to go internal balance you will need to get a new flexplate also.I thought you could convert from int to ext on the dampner,there was a counterweight you could remove,maybe not?mine is a ati and i think i can do that?

wsuwrhr
    I'm sure you can call Fluidamper and get an offset
    weight for the dampner. EXCELLENT custumer service.If you can't buy the ring they may even take yours back and send you the right one. I put them on all the engines that I build. I put on my 440 and I broke an ARP stainless bolt off in one of the holes. The holes weren't tapped quite through. I called them up and tore someone's ear off, and they sent me a new dampner without even waiting for my ****ed up dampner to show up. Make sure your crank snout is perfectly smooth with no nicks or gouges before you install it.
    Brian
    [ August 07, 2002, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

schiada96
    I've got one but my crank guy told me not to run it. He wanted a superdampner on it. The fluid dampers are easy to change from external to internal by just changing the hub, it has the counterweight on it. If you have one for external and want to convert you can remove the hub and just machine the weight off also.

LVjetboy
    Schiada96,
    I believe jstwkd has an internal for a BBC and was questioning the expense of converting to external (not vice versa). Conversion possible with hub change for newer fluids with interchangeable hubs. The cost compared to advantage being the question?
    But there's still the issue of rotating assembly balance, which is recommended for externally balanced 454's with modified counterweights...probably most common. Mine falling in that catagory. This is why I won't buy a fluid until my first rebuild. Other than that I'm thinking that fluids can be more reliable and accurate in timing than conventional. Also dampen over a wider frequency range. Some have mentioned bad experiences...what if they attempted to use a fluid without the required rebalance...could that be a factor? Just a possibility.
    jer

schiada96
    jet boy if you have proof of purchase on a fluid damper they will sell you a hub weighted or not for $40.00.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast