Thread: Help on pump conversion

DEL51
    Hey folks,I am going to swap pumps.My old pump is going into my "new" boat.The old pump is modified internally with all the good stuff and has a ratchet.It was set back and has a circular plate welded to the suction piece that covered the transome hole.I need to remove this plate in order to fit the non setback berkley intake.Questions:Can I use a plasma cutter to remove the plate or will this generate enough heat to cause warpage to the suction piece.Do plasma cutters transfer alot of heat to the surrounding metal.Should I remove just enough material so it will fit inside the transome hole. I could hack at it with a sawzall but don't it to look like frankenstein.Thanks,Chris

sidewound
    I'd try a grinder. Grind on only the cover as to not gouge into the suction piece itself. A plasma is gonna leave an ugly job. Another good option would be a cutoff wheel on a die grinder. This will leave a very small cut. Whatever you do I'd try not to touch the suction piece until the cover is off. You'll probably have to do some cleanup on it then to get a good fit for a new cover.
    Peace Man
    CESAR

Unchained
    DEL51:
    Questions:Can I use a plasma cutter to remove the plate or will this generate enough heat to cause warpage to the suction piece.Do plasma cutters transfer alot of heat to the surrounding metal.Thanks,Chris I don't follow what you want to cut off exactly but plasma cutters don't transfer much heat to the base metal at all. They're fast and the heat is concentrated in the arc so I think it would work real good. If you want to do a real clean job you can make a plywood pattern that you can use to guide the torch along.

DEL51
    Thanks for the input. PIcture a setback pump, dominator in this instance.The plate would be 2 pieces with silicone where the plate meets the portion of the suction piece exiting the outside of the transome, just behind the back of the bowl.In my case the pump was all one pice that was welded on.I will give it a shot and I feel better about the heat transfer.Thanks