Thread: shered dist roll pin

sleekcraft76
    the roll pin on the drive gear in my mallary unilight dist shered off yesterday.it is a .125 dia roll pin, should i drill it out larger and put a bigger pin in it or just go back with a harder pin maybe ? has this happened to anyone else ? im guessing the high volume oil pump combined with cold oil and "foot in the gas"
    may have ben to much for it.
    thanks!!!!!!!!!

Second one I've heard of. Apparently Mallory has since started using a double rollpin due to this very problem. I've heard you can order the replacement from Mallory, but I'm betting you could match it up with a double rollpin locally. If ya look at it closely, you can see a pin within a pin. I'm running a Mallory unilite, as well as a few boating buddies. It's got me a little nervous.

Infomaniac
    Buy a hardened roll pin.
    This should take care of it.

77charger
    Is that a BBF if so rtjas had a mallory for his and he had the same prob.He did get it fixed.In my last boat(BBF)i used the stock volume oil pump for this reason as well as hardened oil pump shaft since the stock 5/16 one can twist.

Almost all aftermarket distributer mfgs use a mild steel roll pin, the kind you can buy at Orchard Supply or Lowes. If you can't drive a smaller pin inside the larger one then get a rollpin from a stock Ford distributer as these should be hardened steel. I have never sheared a stock FoMoCo pin even with a 100+ lbs of oil pressure cold.

Go here and go to catalog page 3046 at bottom.

lakecrazy
    I recently had this happen to my Mallory Unilite BBF application.
    The main cause of the roll pin failure on mine was the advance mechanism was rubbing the inside of the distributor at high RPMs. Mallory is aware of the problem and replaced my complete distributor assembly.
    Mallory is using a spiral roll pin on all new distributors now.

sleekcraft76
    thanks all, im going to call mallary monday.