Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cavitation

cyclone
    My boat cavitates horribly out of the hole. I can only take off at half throttle. If I punch the gas peddle, I go almost nowhere and the motor will rev like crazy. What would cause this and what is the fix?

miller19j
    I would take a look inside your pump and make sure that you don’t have any foreign objects stuck in there. Then check the o-ring on the hand hole to make sure it is sealing. If you find nothing there check that the main Bowl bolts are tight.
    If the above looks OK. It sounds like you need to rebuild your jet. What kind of power does your boat have?
    [ December 02, 2002, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: miller19j ]

cyclone
    i'm pretty sure there is nothing stuck in the jet. The pump was supposedly rebuilt but it's questionable.
    I've got a BBC making about 500hp.
    Another thing i've noticed is that i'f I'm cruising at 3,000rpm and punch it, the motor revs quite a bit before the boat goes any faster. I think the pump is probably wore out. The pump stays loaded through the chop, but out of the hole it really sucks.

miller19j
    My guess is that you need to rebuild you pump. But I am no expert maybe someone else will chime in here.

Blown 472
    Sounds like a loose pump to me.

MikeF
    Cyclone,
    Probably a loooooose pump.
    Whenever you give it any go pedal it should move forward as soon as you step on it. When it does not move forward, pressure is being lost somwhere.
    As far as jumping on it for the holeshot, You might always have to feather the throttle anyway. Until the boat starts moving forward and supplying the intake w/ more water you will probably have some type of "lack of water" problem. I do not have any experience w/ the Inducer impeller some say that it works very well.
    I'd say w/ the power that you are moving up to (is that still the plan?), you will probably need it (inducer)!
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Cyclone5K.JPG[/img]
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Cyclonescoop.JPG[/img]

cyclone
    Hey Mike do you have any other pics of my boat? And what does the inducer do? The reason i thought the cavitation out of the hole was odd is because my old boat didn't do it. I could put my foot right to the floor and the boat would just take off. And yes, the plan is still the same.

miller19j
    The inducer is a device that looks a lot like a propeller that goes on the shaft just in front of the impeller.
    This is a pic of one from froggys thread

cyclone
    thanks for the pics. What does it do though?

NEWS FLASH.....jetters have props eek! eek! eek!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast