Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Torque vs Horsepower?

jim lee
    It seems that there will never be an answer will there? On and on the old fight continues. Well, its time to take sides and put your money where your mouth is.

What camp are you in? Horsepower? Or would it be Torque?
    Now, when entering those internet flame wars, you can display your camp's official Torque Vs Horsepower battle gear.
    -jim lee

miketsouth
    If you are interested the thread starts here:
    http://www.banderlog.com/cgi-bin/ban...rum=DCForumID1
    Lost of opinions and controversy. I got the 'torque dont move anything tshirt'

Infomaniac
    If you are below 5,252 RPM you beter build for torque. Above 5,252 build for HP.

Infomaniac
    Double post
    [ May 27, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Badboat1
    I agree with ya Info torque moves the mass and gets it going then horsepower takes over.I played with that as in impellers mine won't run till it gets on the pipe. 7000 rpm is were it likes to run.Had every impeller in it and turned some down and that is what it takes for every different setup boat/HP.
    BB1

Bense468
    Info is right 5,252 RPM is the magic number.

We went through this last summer about the "5252 rpm" deal. That number is actually meaningless in terms of performance. Purely an anomoly of the math involved. It is only the torque=hp point in our measuring system. Take the exact same engine, measure torque and power in metric units and that crossing point doesn't exist.
    For a long time, I too was a believer....
    [ May 27, 2003, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

GlastronGuy
    OLDSQUIRT:
    We went through this last summer about the "5252 rpm" deal. That number is actually meaningless in terms of performance. Purely an anomoly of the math involved. It is only the torque=hp point in our measuring system. Take the exact same engine, measure torque and power in metric units and that crossing point doesn't exist.
    For a long time, I too was a believer.... Craig, don't keep us in supense. A believer in what?
    wink

GlastronGuy:
    Craig, don't keep us in supense. A believer in what?
    wink That your "dual pumps" are what slow you down.....

Infomaniac
    OldSquirt is correct about it being mathmatical.
    A better term would be just to say "power" at a certain RPM.
    There are still large differences in engine components designed to make power at low RPM's and those designed to make power at higher RPM's
    Choose them to compliment the RPM's you intend to turn. If you decide to run it on a dyno to see what it does. You will need to speak dyno language. Torque and HP.
    It just happens that Horsepower is the unit of mechanical measurement to rate engine power. It is measured on a dyno. Dyno's measure torque. You have to mathmatically convert torque to HP. wink
    [ May 27, 2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast