Thread: drain gas tanks

SB
    What's the best way to drain the water and crud out of the bottom of built in gas tanks?

txboatnut
    do not know if this is a option for you. I had to have a hole welded in mine but had the tank steam cleaned by a raidator shop

lakesmodified
    Originally posted by SB:
    What's the best way to drain the water and crud out of the bottom of built in gas tanks?
    SB, I bought a cheapie electric fuel pump, the kind AutoZone/Pep-Boys sells for approx $25.00. I installed two hoses, one to place in a sutable container, the other, I included a section of copper(or aluminum, etc) tubing at the end of the hose. I crimped on two wires with alligator clips, so that you can hook it up to your battery. I mounted the pump on a piece of plywood, and just use the copper tube to place into the tank and move around the bottom. I place a gallon of fresh gas into the fuel tank after sucking out all the old fuel/water, jump up and down on the trailer/boat to slosh the fuel around, and then suck it out also. Do this as many times as needed in order to clean out the tank. Ivan

SB
    Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking. I was just wondering if I could effectively maneuver the tube to vacuum the whole bottom of the tank.

Licketty Split
    Wet dry vac..... On second thaught NO better not.... scrach scrach http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif