Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling 455 motor how much does it weigh?

jdog
    I noticed that engine stands are rated at 750lbs,1000 lbs, and 1250lbs. I need to pull my motor for a rebuild or swap, which engine stand should I buy? I don't know how much the motor weighs. Thanks. Jay

v-drive
    I just rebuilt my 455 (at my father in laws in Hesperia no less)and fully dressed you're talking a little over 600lbs. I bought a 1000 lb. stand and was a little nervous. A good rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. Have fun. v-drive
    [ September 11, 2003, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: v-drive ]

malcolm
    I like the 1000 pounders, with 4 wheels. Makes them a little harder to tip over.

Jungle Boy
    Go with the best one you can afford. Look for a wide spread on the wheelbase. It makes a huge difference when you start moving it around or wanting to flip the engine.

victorfb
    i have 4 stands and 3 of them are the older nice ones that handle the big blocks. i needed another so i went with one of the cheap 1000# harbor freight ones with 4 wheels. and yes, i too was very nervous with a full dressed BBC. i welded all the pieces and used good hardened bolts for the stand to block connection. as long as you dont plan on turning the block over with the heads still on i think your ok. i ended up making a front mount that enables me to turn the block over fully dressed. it is sort of like a VW stand off the front of the block. without it i would never try the twisting.

victorfb
    if you have a good speed shop near by, they should be able to get you a nice stand for not much more than you will find elswere. a drip pan is a nice addition aswell. it helps in both the dissassembly and reassembly. clean the inside of the block like youve never cleaned anything before, then do it again. then oil the crap out of it. keep it as clean as possible.

jdog
    Jungle Boy, V- DRive, Malcolm, Victorfb, Hey guys I appreciate the replies. Thanks a lot. I was looking at the ones at Harbour freight. Sounds like the 1000 lb. should be sufficient. I will be nervous too.
    thanks again. Jay

77cobra jet
    hey there, i just bought a 1000#lb stand from harbor freight to put my 455 on and i havent had any problem with it. the only thing i found with it was that with the engine complete it was somewhat hard to turn the engine upside down. as far as rolling it around, i pushed mine from the driveway to the back of the garrage without any probs. i wouldnt use anything less than the 4 wheel model however. just my 2 cents worth.
    john

burbanite
    I just converted two average units into better ones.
    I welded all of the pieces together and braced the uprights. I then made new swivel heads with bearings, turns over sooooo nicely now.
    I have a BBC with a blower and hat, the complete engine is heavy...

jdog
    hey there burbanite and 77cobrajet, thanks for the advice. I will go get one of those. Jay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast