Thread: pump noise

ezstriper
    just fired and warmed my BB/C w/ berkley AB pump,
    I was running it on a hose with water also going thru drive also. When I let it idle below 1000 or so I could hear a knock/rattle that seemed to be coming from the pump, bring the idle up and noise
    goes away, Is this normal or do I need to look into a pump problem(It was just rebuilt according to owner I bought it from, bolts have just been off and fresh sealer showing so I know something was done.Thanks for the help, Rob...

Johnwithjm
    Sounds like you may have a bearing going bad

It's very possible you're hearing the slight clearence often present between the spline of the driveline and the spline on the pump shaft. When present you will hear it at idle and it goes away when you increase rpm. usually nothing to worry about unless it's really loose. many older pump / driveline combos have it.

MikeF
    It is a pretty nasty sound....I know. My universal does that too @ 1000+/- rpm. Above 1200 it goes away. It is fairly typical of an engine that is mounted in a position near "inline" w/ the pump shaft. It has not caused any problems yet. Just keep grease on the pump shaft spline idea .

ezstriper
    Thanks guys, yes the noise goes away when I bring the idle up above 1000 or so, also is there any lube in this berkley other than the grease fitting
    inside ? Thanks again, Rob...

BK
    There are two allan screws in your pump bowl, remove both and squirt 90w into the one on the higher side till it comes out the other. You might end up flushing out some water before you see the oil but thats normal, I do mine every couple of trips. On the grease fitting inside the boat, you dont want to apply so much grease that its flying all over, just 6-8 squirts.