Hi, just bought a jetboat and love the forums! Seems like there is a lot of useful info here!
Here is what i bought:
1978 Sleekcraft Kaui (i think thats how you spell it)
460 Ford Packajet, 12JC-A pump w/ jetovator
Currently, it will do 62mph @ 5400 - 5500rpm
Seems like someone did some work to the motor, but not really sure. After reading the forum topics about the oil problems with the 460's, it kinda made me wonder about whether it was healthy for me to beat the boat that hard
Got it about 5 days ago, and i have been running it at WOT for about 10minutes nonstop each time i took it out - and so far, there havent been any problems. The guy i bought it from was running 20w50 synth., so thats a good thing.
And the fact that the water temp of the lake is a brisk 45F, that is prolly helping to keep it cool.
The thing has plenty of oil pressure, (80+ lbs @ wot) - so much that it will slowly seep out of the PCV valve - which makes me tend to believe what you guys say about the oil stayin in the heads.
Since it still has the points / condenser distributor on it, i am probably gonna switch it to HEI - any recommendations? I was thinking MSD.
Also, is switching to a 12-JI worth it? will i notice a speed increase? Just like everyone else, i want 70+mph
It doesnt have a place diverter (since its a JC model), and i dont know what impeller is in it.
[ May 04, 2003, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Snorider ]