Thread: Maintaining Polished aluminum?

Bryan Rose
    Well I decided to keep my motor and build it from the ground up ,At least I will know what I have and what is in it. But for the time being I need to keep my Log manifolds but they are dull and gross looking, no pits but just not shiny any more. How or should I say what is the best way to do this? Clean them I mean? I was thinking just some aluminum brightener or something the laquer is gone so whats it going to hurt. Any suggestions here? I was also thinking hell I will clean and degrease tham real well and paint them with high temp paint some crazy color to match the boat , will this work? Also the intake was all nasty too from a fuel leak in the past... it was originally a polished tunnel ram ... However it is now a silver powder coated tunnel ram with two coats of clear powder coat on them ..... as well as the carb covers ... looks good.
    Any help with the logs?
    Bryan

Tahiti Owner
    I had powder coated logs on my boat when I first bought it. They didnt burn off or change colors and were easy to clean up with soap and water and a little car polish. After they were cool anyway.

Omega21
    http://www.sharkhide.com/
    Sharkhide is a clear coat that Vern S has had some really good luck with on a polished pump. They were jabbering about it on Banderlog a little bit ago, this is the link:
    http://www.banderlog.com/cgi-bin/ban...rum=DCForumID1
    Todd

Bryan Rose
    Well I guess that answers it... I will be powder coating the logs..... May be orange or perhaps blue , maybe yellow.... I got a guy 10 minutes away who is a friend who has a huge power coating plant. I asked himabout it and he said would probably flake off.... but I think he thought they got hot like headers... So this will work?
    Bryan

Jungle Boy
    Bead blast them and they will look like new. If you going to coat them, make sure it's with the high temp coating, even if they are water cooled.

sidewound
    This is a set of used ones I bought and polished. Many hours of work to get this far and their's still a ways to go. The guy I bought them from (FROM THE BOARDS), stuck it in my A$$. Guaranteed to be perfect meant an extra c-note at the machine shop for surfacing. SOMEDAY I'm GONNA FLAME'im.!!!!!
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114MY_MOTO-med.JPG[/img]
    I like the polished look myself. What other excuse do I have to hang in the shop and drink beer. They looked BAD when I got em but "DASSEN ELBOWGREASIN" is really the only way to keep em up.
    Peace Man
    CESAR

DansBlown73Nordic
    They look really great.... wink

FastRat1
    Sidewound...those logs look gd...if u want to get them a little better...u might try a small buffing wheel on a die grinder with jewler"s rouge (red)..it works awsome and u can get into the hard places..i use it on my sgl tunnel ram..after they are to ur likeing..u can use "never dull" to keep them up...just my 2 cents
    Ron

sidewound
    THANKS
    I just use plain old "MOTHERS" for polishing and upkeep. It's easy and it's cheap. I'd like to take out some more nicks with a file and wetsanding but I like the finish and it is super easy to maintain. Just makes your finger sore for a couple days. "WAX ON WAX OFF" he he he
    Peace Man
    CESAR
    [ July 27, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: sidewound ]