Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adressing hook and rocker?

sidewound
    I think I understand hook. Flat is better than hook. I have recently talked to someone who adressed rocker in the bottom. I'm assuming this would give you a smaller wet area. Anybody know anything about it? eek! The Dirty sock get's rolled over to adress the hook next week and paint. If anyone knows anything about this please post mail or message me. Thanks Peace Man
    Cesar

Jetty 468
    sidewound:
    I think I understand hook. Flat is better than hook. I have recently talked to someone who adressed rocker in the bottom. I'm assuming this would give you a smaller wet area. Anybody know anything about it? eek! The Dirty sock get's rolled over to adress the hook next week and paint. If anyone knows anything about this please post mail or message me. Thanks Peace Man
    Cesar Hook is like a huge brake , 7-10 mph gain's are possible when removed in the older heavy hull's . I gained 8 . It's one of the biggest bang for your $$$$$$$$ ! Try to gain those mph in the motor and the $$$$$$$$$$ goes through the roof .At least in my case it has and I see no end insight yet !

Jetty 468
    Needed 1 more post to make a 100 eek! Also go back in the page's here, hook has been addressed many time's here and some of the pro's explain it in black and white for you .

sidewound
    Jetty,
    I tell ya what, The cost on the mill is already past my wildest dreams. I must be keepin honey happy. argue The funds have been flowing. I,m hopin for 5 mph from cleaning up the hull. It's a sidewinder so it's no dainty hull. Without the motor in it I bout dropped a nad trying to pick up the trailer. If I get that 5 plus the expectations from the new mill perhaps the $$$$$$ thing will not feel so bad. Free speed is GOOD Peace Man
    Cesar

Jetty 468
    If honey ain't happy , nobody's happy!! burningm My 75 Tahiti is one heavy muther also and had a 1/4" of hook jawdrop

sidewound
    I'm worried about layin the straightedge to her. eek! She's been on an ez loader with rollers for 30 yrs. burningm Peace man

Hey Sidewound- I have pretty much the exact same hull and motor combo- I have the boat in about 1000 pcs right now- The motor pump and interior are being rebuilt, and I also am going to do the hook removal thing- I know that you (and I) will have to address the trailer(mine has carpeted bunks) to make sure the bunks are right, cuz it will ruin all the work fixing the hook if you put it back on the same roller bunks! They have to be set-up perfect before the boat is put back on it. Just my .02 Stan

sidewound
    Hey Stan,
    Thanks for the reply. Yes The trailer needs work. I,m not sure exactly how to set up the bunks but am hoping to gain info. I've looked at a lot of pics of trailers and will run with that.
    Any clues you can give me on how to set the bunks? Peace Man
    Cesar

corlish
    Sidewound,
    Hook and Rocker are somewhat related...they are opposite of each other. Hook is a concave bottom (depending on your perspective) and rocker is opposite, you could think of a rocker on a rocking chair to visualize rocker in the hull.
    I believe that you and I have the same hull basically. I have a '71 Rogers Cyclone, it's bottom and yours I believe are both splashes of the early 60's Glastron Aqua-Lift. They are known as "deep-entry" hulls and under the right conditions are prone to severe bow-steer and even spinning the boat out. The good news is that they can be made fast, you just have to be careful! I was given some advice by an old racer of this style of hull that about 1/8" of hook is actually desirable in that it helps the rear of the boat set and not chine walk as badly. Chine walking and the genreally loose feeling can convince the driver to let off of the throttle suddenly...down comes the bow...it knifes in and around you go...
    I believe that there was an extensive thread on here about Diggler's boat chine walking that may also be worthwhile to read.
    Here's a picture that kind-of shows the deep-entry bow. I believe that yours is very similar

sidewound
    Thanks for the reply Corlish,
    After looking at your and my pics I'm pretty sure the hull is the same. (Decks are different).
    I was under the assumption that it was a tahiti "splash". With everybody splashin everybody back then who knows. Once I get it "downright" i'll probably have lots more questions. I'd like to get the max. lift out of the hull but I have also experienced the bow steer at throttle off. (Guess I won't back out like that again). I still want to get a good solid feel for the contact with the liquid. cry I'm just a whinin. Do your best and give it a shot. A freind of mine told me "It's only money". Ain't that the truth. Peace Man
    Cesar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast