Thread: Ride Plate and Droop Snoot info for NEWBIE Jet Owner

98 Ultra Jet Boat Newbie
    Still searching for speed here folks. So wanted to get some information on ride plates and droop snoots. Running on a 98 Ultra LX (21'), 454 stock plant rated at 330HP with Dominator 12TD pump.
    WRT droops, dropped the coin on a PDC droop and hardly noticed any top end gains. Roost is MUCH higher but other than that.....nill. Have been told by a couple of jet folks that droops really are only beneficial to the shorter/lighter jet boats. I'm running on a 2900 lbs pig, so she is definetly a heavy weight. Does that make me a chubby chaser? eek! So what do you think about droops and my setup???
    Next oh wise jet forumers, the ride plate on my that came on the boat was a 9" ride plate. After adding the droop to the already outfitted Place Diverter, felt like the droop and nozzle where causing more drag than anything. Talked to another Ultra owner who said he installed a longer ride plate and it got him planed out much faster, but he could not comment on his top end as he was not concerned about speed, just pull wake boarders.
    Well like the most of you....I like speed, naked chicks, big boobs, blowers (in more ways than 1), etc.... Contacted PDC who sells a ride plate that is supposed to extend to the bottom of the droop which has three mounting holes for the ride plate. Unfortunately, the ride plate only adds about 6" to the existing ride place and does not even come close to the mounting holes on the droop. Not only that, it is not compatible with my Dominator 12TD and holes are drilled in the wrong place, etc...
    So I am fabricating my own and if it works out, will powder coat the make it a finished product. From transom to end of nozzle with the droop, she measures 3ft. Is that insane or what. Should I pull off the droop and Ebay it or should I continue with the 22" plate fab project I have going. Can the wise jet boaters of this forum give this newbie some advise???
    THX!!!

Duane HTP
    We have dealt with this type of boat and problem a lot. What works best for us is the SNOOT with an add on ride plate and shoe kit. On a heavy boat like that, I would suggest the Longer Snoot with the 4 degree up pin axis on the steering nozzle. This set up will not drag in the water like the droop does. But lets be reasonable, these things will help some, but they won't do wonders for a 2900 lb boat with only 330 hp. If you add a couple of hundred HP, then these parts will really help control the added HP in a manner that you would be happy with. Duane HTP
    www.hi-techperformance.com

98 Ultra Jet Boat Newbie
    Right on Duane...thanks for the input. Checked out your website (nice) and saw the pics posted with the wedges installed under "other performance parts". The guy that did my pump work in Atascadero CA (great guy) also passed me a tube of your HITECH grease for my pump. I was wondering where that stuff came from, other than what was printed on the label. Now I know how to order more, although the tube should last me plenty.
    American Turbine had said that were coming out with the same sort of setup in the next month or so. They were calling it a stove pipe or something along those lines, but basically was a straightened droop. Makes sense about bending the water twice (down and back up again). With the minimum 330HP the GM BB is pushing, can't expect too much until I can gain some HPs cry .
    Hopefully the extended plate project helps. It's an easy job/fab project and if I don't see any gains after fine tuning, can just unbolt and put the stocker back on. Think I should run the plate as close to the droop as possible to pitch the front end up and get less wetted surface as possible, or just run level?? Probably just have to experiment as the diverter will also come into play.

Jake W
    A thought on running that long of a ride plate you should use some angle alum down both sides to keep it from bending and making a hook.
    Jake

98 Ultra Jet Boat Newbie
    Thanks Jake, I thought of adding some angle but had not made a hard decision yet. It bolts in three locations on the plate (front, middle and rear), so I thought that might suffice. Three bolts under the tansom, two bolts just behind the bowl and then two bolts at the bottom of the snoot in the rear. Depending on how much force is exerted at the snoot from the force of the ride plate, sure would'nt want to rip off the snoot or shear the bolts??!! eek!

moneysucker
    Mine has angle down the outside edges to keep from bowing. You should consider some kind if a saddle to heep the plate from wanting to twist on one center mounting point. 20" is not out of line for a ride plate. Most I have run into are 18". I have seen smaller but they don't seem to work as well. Good luck.

Duane HTP
    Money sucker is right. Be sure to use a cradle. Jake is also right. Put at least a 1" x 1" angle on each side edge of the ride plate. Between 18 and 19" is the proper length.

98 Ultra Jet Boat Newbie
    Thx Duane HTP, moneysucker and Jake W. The words of the wise speak to steer me right. Will probably do one run with the plate to see if there are any noticable gains (which should be from all that I have heard). Then finalize with some channel on the side and cradle....then go powder coat. Glad my 22" slab isnt too far off base. THX GURUs of knowledge and speed!!