Thread: Hot Boating in Hawaii ?

BADAXE
    Is there any Hot Boating in the islands? I go over for business four or five times a year and haven't seen any.

Steamin' Rice
    There is a guy in Kauai who has a ski boat and will pull you skiing on a freshwater river...I don't remember the name of the river, but if you look at all the tourist flyers at the airport you will see one for water skiing.....It's pretty cool. I thought at one time there was somebody trying to get some offshore boats lined up to use for island tours but don't know if that ever got going or not.....
    [ April 30, 2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Steamin' Rice ]

Havasu Cig
    One of the guys that worked at DSM used to work for a company on I believe Oahu that used to run tours in Cigs. He was planning on going back to start his own business, but I don't think he has yet. If a company still exist It would probably be on Oahu because of the size of the Harbor.
    I know on Maui in Lahaina they have hard bottom rafts with O/B's that they give "high speed" tours on. You can just walk up to the dock and sign up.

burbanite
    One of our race team mechanics lives there and commutes. He is in the process of buying a couple of offshore boats to "give rides". He will be back here this week for Indy, I'll ask him who's up to what.

AZKC
    What does it take (legally) to charge people for boat rides/tours? USCG captians license? Business license? Sounds like a good way to right off a boat
    KC

Havasu Cig
    I know that there are restrictions in the waters around the Islands but I don't know the details. I inquired when I was on Maui with a crew member on one of the boats and that is what I was told.
    It also gets very rough out there. we were in a 70' cat with diesels and we were launching off of swells and taking water over the bow. It was probably about 10'-12' swells along with wind and chop. Pretty nasty stuff!!

burbanite
    OK, our "man in Hawaii" just got into town.
    As you would expect there are a ton of licenses and permits required. The number of permits issued to conduct a business of this nature (includes things such as parasailing etc) are limited so in this case he is hooking up with an existing permit holder and paying a monthly fee as well as covering his insurance.
    Different licenses involved according to how many passengers you can carry. Apparently it is all about having a good attorney...who'd have thought?
    He intends to use a twin engine, 46' Black Thunder, extended cockpit version, out of Florida if I recall correctly. Having the extended cockpit effectively removes the third engine.

AZKC
    Sounds like a kick ass way to make a living, time to find a lawyer.
    KC

burbanite
    AZKC:
    Sounds like a kick ass way to make a living, time to find a lawyer.
    KC No shit!
    This guy has been a mechanic with us for 12 years. He bought a piece of land out there in '95, had a house built and moved there in '97.
    He commutes to and from the races and is here for a month during the build season and now for another month while we are at Indy, the rest of the time he windsurfs and works on cool ways to make money.

H4215
    Steamin' Rice:
    There is a guy in Kauai who has a ski boat and will pull you skiing on a freshwater river...I don't remember the name of the river, but if you look at all the tourist flyers at the airport you will see one for water skiing.....It's pretty cool. I thought at one time there was somebody trying to get some offshore boats lined up to use for island tours but don't know if that ever got going or not..... It's called the Wailua river and there are a few outfits on the river that will take you wakeboarding or waterskiing.