Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! Need a great Gelcoat repair facility.

playdeep
    Havasu Barney recently did some touch up work on my boat...
    I asked him to fix one thing,he ended up fixing/touching up other stuff as well...
    He didn't charge me anything extra he just did it.
    That's pretty cool in my book...
    p.s. Ask him about his chrome add-on specials

Bahner18
    Give Dave I. a call at FTM he is in Perris by the lake and is very reasonidly priced and been doing fiberglass for many many years.
    his number is (909)764-4802 or 657-7481

H2on22
    Got my estimate today from Abstract--$550 eek!
    The work to be done is really small and I could not believe the price, sooooooo...
    called Louie at Kachina and he said when you swing by WE will take care of it That's cool. Will let you guys know how it turn out. trying to get it done thurs. before Op6.

HavasuBarney
    playdeep:
    p.s. Ask him about his chrome add-on specials

H2on22
    HavasuBarney:
    playdeep:
    p.s. Ask him about his chrome add-on specials Guess I missed that one.
    Thanks for the help guys.

Trailer Park Casanova
    Fat Chance
    [/qb]Funny, I worked for KSV for 10 yrs, and we used Abstact quite a bit. They always did great work for a fair price...I don't think much has changed. My buddies Schiada came outta there looking great. [/qb][/QUOTE]
    REPLY:
    John at KSV recomended me to go someplace else, as did Jim and SVH and the service manager at YSV.
    Anyway, I didn't listen and went to abstract because it was convienent, and I'd get the job done faster. The work was just OK,, Like I said, it looked more like it was painted and rubbed out than Gel Coat.
    Abstract was about 1/3 higher that other estimates I got, and the other estimates included the orig factory decals being replaced, not abstracts estimate. Ed told me "Go buy the decals and we'll put them on for you".
    Gee thanks Ed,, the decals usually cost more that the gel coat repair.
    I've had work done before at other shops and had much better quality.
    I choose speed over quality, and I should have listened to John, the owner of KSV.
    For kicks,, I suggest you stop by Simi Valley Honda and ask Jim the owner what he thinks of Abstract,,,he'll detonate and loose his cool,, theirs a lot of bad blood between Abstract and SVH.
    Glad to read your friend had good experiences.
    We no longer dock at Fox's or the Roadrunner, or Mike Macks because it's asking for gel coat damage.
    You can't be more carefull that the Casanova,, and I still get nailed at docks.
    [ June 06, 2003, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

Fat Chance
    You know, there's a lot of bad blood between Jim (SVH) and a lot of people. That doesn't really suprise me.
    I never said Abstract was cheap. We never had a problem with quality. John is a good friend, I'm looking forward to find out why his opinion has change about abstract. But having run a service dept for some time, I can't see how any one takes in a 75K boat, and takes on the liability and overhead invovled with running a shop these days, and can't charge five hundo. That's really peanuts, by the time you factor in the cost of material, labor, the various insurances, and rent. Maybe I'm just old fashion.
    So how long have you been going to KSV. I'm thinking we've probably run into one another.
    [ June 06, 2003, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Fat Chance ]

Trailer Park Casanova
    Years back, Eds dad ran the place and the quality was superb. A picky very particular ol Jasper.
    Ed, the son took over a few years ago, and Ed fancied himself a Mercedes Benz specialty shop instead, figuring more money in Benz's.
    Insurance adjusters woke Ed up to the fact that he'd only get paid what they'd give him,, and he could be fixing Yugos and have the same results.
    Being a Benz body shop had no advantage.
    So now Ed's heading back into re-establishing his gel/fiberglass business. Not as good quality as when the old man ran the place, but OK.
    No comparison to Havasu Barney who has depth to his work, and color matches that are tighter than Whale Pussy,, and that's water tight.
    -Damfino

Fat Chance
    I keep my boat in Havasu, and I'm actually gonna hit up Barney this summer in between trips to repair a couple of little dings I have. From what I've seen, he does nice work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12