Thread: POSSIBLE Move to PHOENIX Area NEED HELP!!

lakesmodified
    I'm originally from the So Cal area, but been living in Memphis, TN for the past ten years. It's been quite a few years since I've been to the Phoenix area, and I'm contemplating a move into that area(Possible job opening). I'm needing help as to the local lakes in the surrounding area(Of course I know of the River, I'm talking the local lakes), ie.. Good or Bad? Crowded? Best places to live in the area? How's Mesa? etc? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ivan

Boatcop
    Lake Pleasant is [b]THE[b] local lake for the Phoenix area. 45 minute drive from downtown. It can get crowded, but they close the door when it reaches capacity.
    Other lakes are Roosevelt, Apache and a few others in the Salt River chain. How good they are depends on the water level, which hasn't been all that great in the last few years, but a good snowfall in any year will bring them all right back up.
    The Valley has really grown, particularly the west valley. Look at Avondale, Peoria, or even Buckeye for the best bang for your housing dollars.
    The north east valley in Scottsdale and Paradise Valley is pretty high end, and Mesa is pretty much apartments or older houses catering to low to moderate income.
    You can also go south to Tempe if you can stand the college crowd, or Ahwatukee. Chandler is pretty nice, too.
    The freeway system has been greatly improved, and you can get pretty much anywhere in the valley in less than 45 minutes. IF you're used to LA traffic, even rush hour will seem like a breeze.

DogHouse
    We have some nice lakes around here. (un)Pleasant is the biggest, but it's barren, has no beaches, and gets really rough with all the big boats. There are some good parties that kick up back in Humbug Cove though. Best lakes for jets and flatties are Bartlett and Saguaro, both very scenic and close to town especially if you're on the east side. Apache is beautiful but harder to get to on dirt roads. Roosevelt is big and open and further to the east. A lot of people camp there on the shore but it's barren, no trees like Apache.
    You can find nice neighborhoods in pretty much any direction here, and most are reasonably priced until you get into NE Scottsdale and Carefree. It would be a good idea to live in the same general side of town as your job. Even though traffic is not up to LA standards, it's still bad enough to be a serious pain in the ass if you're commuting across town. I love it where I'm at, way north and a little east, but then I also work on the north end of town so my commute is only 15-20 minutes. Mesa is not my favorite part of town. If I was working there, I would look to live in Fountain Hills or maybe some of the foothill areas way out east by the Superstition Mtns. Living anywhere out that way puts you very close to the Salt River lakes.
    Good luck and make sure to visit sometime during the summer so you know what you're getting yourself into... It's HOT here!
    -brian

lakesmodified
    Alan and Brian, thanks for the quick reply/info.. I did have another question to ask about Mesa... Like I said, it's been a few years since my lasy visit... I remember Mesa to be a nice place, has it gone down hill? By the way Alan, I love Peppers page.... I too have a female Blood Hound, but she thinks she's human.... I'll have to email you a few of her growing up pictures... She'll be 3 this coming Sept, but going on 30! I could write a book about the things this dog does for attention. Ivan

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I live in mesa and I like it. Its close to the salt river chain of lakes. lake pleasant is ok but like everyone said the wate rwill beat you up. Saguaro is my choice being that its closer and people there are pretty freindly. We were out on thursday and the water was perfect uptill 4pm.They have a beach"Party beach" in the back of the lake and the people there are pretty friendly. You can get some good partying there plus it has sand. Bartlett is a nice lake as well but I havent been there in a long time. Mesa isnt too bad depending on where you live. if you go past stapley east they have some really exspensive homes(like $500,000 homes). I can feel you in on mesa if you have any questions. I am born and raised here so I know wats up.

DogHouse
    396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
    They have a beach"Party beach" in the back of the lake and the people there are pretty friendly."Bikini Beach!"

Harlem
    How are you doing? I lived in Mesa, and Fountain Hills for a while, I liked them both! Mesa is more reasonable as far as homes. Saguaro Lake is really nice, You just have to keep an eye open for clouds then haul ass for the launch ramp!!!(Monsoons!!) I also Liked Canyon Lake! Between Mesa and Apache Junction, A real senic lake! Let me know if you move there I've been meaning to take a trip back out there with the boat! Tell Dave I said Hi!!

Kurtis500
    If you like to be close to the lakes then moving towards Apache Junction/Fountain Hills or northwest Peoria are the places to be. If you dont want to drive to work then move to Central Phoenix. Thats were I live, and I've put 8500 miles or so on my truck since last August 28th. Everything is close. All the restaraunts are empty at night when its time to eat since everyone has gone home. Heres a map
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/7mapdrawing-med.jpg[/img]
    The map is actually offset a little to the right. Litchfield Park is just off the map to the left west of Tolleson, and Buckeye is further west. Peoria actually has annexed part of Lake Pleasant. Homes are going up right next to the lake

lakesmodified
    Just wanted to thank everyone that supplied info regarding the Phoenix area..... Unfortunately, a guy that's presently living in San Diego and is planning to retire in a couple of years has accepted this possition in Phoenix. Anyone that has worked in a seniority type environment knows, that possitions are awarded by seniority, and he has me beat. Again, thanks... I'll keep my eyes posted for additional openings. Ivan