Hot tip Fastech, buy a smaller boat, become a boat owner, and get to be a great, not good, but great driver. Learn the rules of the road wherever you plan on going. You will piss a lot less people off getting RA or LA (river aware/lake aware)in a 21' boat than a 42'. You will have far more options as to where to go, and a lot easier time towing it there. My wife and I make a good living now, and I feel that a nice boat is a major quality of life issue. We have no kids, and own both of our 2000 and 2001 vehicles outright. You will need a vehicle that is nearly specifically a tow vehicle for a 42', i.e. a $50,000 diesel rig, and that you can only finance for 5 years. If you were to spend your money on a new boat, you can get a loan for 15 years, with good interest rate. I say start smaller, but high quality like RiverDave said. Get a new Ultra, and if things are working out in a year or so, buy a sweet tow vehicle. The year after that, buy a newer Ultra, and then move up to the Donzi whatever. Either way, most guys I know with huge boats, also have a smaller ski/fun boat in the garage. It is just more fun.