Thread: Trinity Lake

Maxey
    We have a reservation at Haward Flat campground for mid July. We have gone to Shasta several times. Questions:
    Where do I launch? Is it safe to keep boat in the water at Haward Flats? Do I have to "hang our coolers" in the trees? We have been camping for years, and are not Tenderfeet". Just would like a little "info" to help us prepare for the trip.
    Thanks for any advice!
    Maxey

Robbie Racer
    Maxey, I have camped at Hayward Flat several times over the years. They don't have a launch ramp but depending on the water level there are several launch ramps close by. Most of the time, we launched at Cedar Stock which I think is the next resort up the road a few miles. We always left our boats anchored in the water near the camp ground. One year one of my friends had his stereo stolen out of his boat by some kids camping there too. Other than that, I haven't heard of any other problems like that. Usually by July, there will be a 100 yard or so hike down to the boat from your camp site due to the lower water level. They do have a bear problem. We made the mistake of leaving our cooler out one night and it was trashed by the next morning. After that, we kept it in the truck. They don't seem to be agressive enough to go after them there. It sounds like we will just miss you as you will be arriving after we leave. We will be there July 6th, 7th and 8th. Good luck, R/R

Maxey
    Thanks for the information Robbie.
    Maxey

cougar27mtr
    We go to Trinity every year.. First part of August. We leave th eboat in the water and camp at the camp ground across from cedar stock. I love it there.. Nice and relaxing and the lake is big enough to feel like you are not going in circles.. :-) Have fun!
    [ March 14, 2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: cougar27mtr ]

HCS
    Rent a house boat!. It's the only way to go. My last trip there that's what I did and I'm sold on it. It was nothing short of awesome. wink
    On the other hand, the last time I camped there it was pretty rough. Had to wear shoes all the time, and there's a ton of red dirt on everything.
    [ March 16, 2003, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: HARDCORE-SKI ]