Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somewhat Boat related

Ultra21
    I really tried to avoid this but I couldn't find another forum that stacks up to this one and if I don't get it fixed, I won't be able to tow my boat. So, it's kinda boat related...Anyway, I have a 99 suburban that's running hot (above 210) and I'm finding small amounts of antifreeze on the garage floor. The radiator res is still full so it doesn't seem to be low on fluid but I can smell the antifreeze after driving. I did notice the temp guage fluctuating today between 180 and 210 which leads me to believe thermostat prob but doesn't explain the leak. I replaced the water pump about 3 months ago and it's not leaking. Anyone else see anything like this? I'm only asking here because last time I had a problem and posted it I received all kinds of input and got it taken care of. Hope this doesn't get me thrown off.

Ultra21
    Thanks RD, that's what I was looking for before I started tearing into this thing, lessons learned. I'll check that out. Bye the way, good job on the report.

JetBoatRich
    My Suburban has the same problem, We have been fighting this thing for some time. Recently found a module problem in the Carb. and seems to running cooler. Really can't tell until the weather HEATS up

Havasu Hangin'
    Where's the fluid leaking from? What color is the fluid? How many miles?
    Like Dave said, it's probably the overflow. Can you see some signs of fluid coming out the overflow hose?
    If the thermostat is causing the engine to heat up, and the cap won't hold the pressure, then the fluid will expand out the overflow.
    The pressure won't make your engine run cooler, it just raises the boiling point of the water (along with the antifreeze mixture).
    If it's not the overflow...start hunting for leaks with a black light.

flat broke
    One common place they leak is on the heater hose fitting into the intake manifold. Its a cheesy plastic fitting that holds the hose in place on the front of the manifold on the passenger's side. I know a couple of guys on the boards have had to make repairs related to that fitting. Good luck.
    Chris

Back To Havasu
    A friend of mine had the same problem not long ago, and it turned out a hose clamp, although appearing tight, had loosened. Just my $.02

Tim_T
    I had a 2000 Z-71 that kept doing the same thing and when i took it to the dealership they told me the heads were going bad. What a nightmare that was. I ended up trading it in for a dodge. Problem solved. For now at least.
    Tim

challengerjet
    my wifes 99 yukon just had the identical problem it sounds like. we took it in and had the manifold gasket replaced. this was 2 weeks ago and haven't seen a drip since. worth looking into. just my $.02
    cjet

Ultra21
    Thanks everyone, for the replies! I did see a small amount of fluid by the plastic coupler on the intake manifold. The fluid is the orange antifreeze and the cap has a lot of junk around the gasket. I'll be playing with it this weekend to hunt it down and let you'all know what happens.
    Thanks again!

BGMAN203
    I also had somewhat the same problem, My motor was heating up ever once and a while, and every time i checked the radiator it was low. then I would check the over flow and it was full. So i would add coolant to the radiator and a few days or weeks later same problem...anyways to make a long story short my intake manafold gasket had split around the water jacket hole in the back of the head, it would actually leak out of the motor, but I never got any coolant in the motor. If you cant find the leak check along the back of the intake. Just my .02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast