Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing with a Ford?

San Diego
    I am towing this weekend with a friend 2001 Ford. I hooked the brake contoller up with the OEM harness, but it came with 2 Relays. I know that I need to add the 30 amp fuse under the hood, but don't know if I need to put in the relays. 1 of the relays may be from the Expedition he has?? The only empty relay position under the dash is #2, the manual says it is Not Used. My question is if I put the 30 amp under the hood, will the truck charge the trailer battery and apply the brakes to the trailer?
    Thanks in advance!
    My Chevy was a breeze!

San Diego
    Anyone own a newer Ford? I didn't think so, but..

24RODjr
    I have a 2003 F150 S'crew FX4....

San Diego
    Did you install a brake controller?

24RODjr
    San Diego:
    Did you install a brake controller? Nope...standard 5 wire with a pigtail

PUMP 'HER'
    Try posting that question here. There are some pretty knowledgable guys that have answered some questions for me before with great results.
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/

locogringo
    you are out of luck! Take your Ford back and buy a Chevy

NashvilleBound
    I was looking to see what kinda Ford it was???? If its a Super Duty all you need to do is connect the wires that are premarked under the dash...thats it. Everything should be factory tagged for your brake controller. The only one that works perfect, and I have tried most, was the Centurian. Good Luck, NB

San Diego
    Thanks for the info I figured it out.
    Loco - the key word here is my "buddies" Ford, I know, I know if he was that "good" of a buddy he wouldn't drive a Ford, but to each his own, at least it is American. My chevy is being built next week, can't wait.
    For those of you that care: Ford F250 2001 w/ Tow package,
    Nothing goes under the dash. A 30 amp fuse is needed in the second space down on the right hand side of the fuse box under the hood. This give the brake controller power(brake to trailer). The relay box is empty, closest to the firewall, the top relay position is to charge the trailer battery from the truck, the bottom position is for reverse lights on the trailer. So, you don't need to put in the relays if you just have trailer brakes.

THOR
    San Diego:
    Did you install a brake controller? SD,
    I think you need that for backing up, so the brakes wont engage. There should be a manual lock-out if your trailer is fairly new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast