Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-do old trailer or buy new?

Outnumbered
    My 1987 Competitive tandem is looking a little rough. Should I a)have it re-done or b)have a new one built or c) buy a newer used trailer and have it fitted? I'm looking to keep costs low but still have a nice set-up. Show quality is not important to me.
    Here's the details. Its a 21' Laveycraft trailer, tandem axel, surge brakes, atwood style brake actuator/tongue. Original black paint, original chrome modulars, new bunks and carpet, new tires, everything works, surface rust from rock pitting, some dings in fenders.
    Anyone had any experience with costs and pros/cons? How about a good shop in SoCal that refinishes trailers?
    Thanks in advance.
    Old Lavey

Hustler
    If you are just talking about paint Abrasive Finishing Co, in Gardena will sandblast and paint it for around 900 bucks, If you really want to spend the money a new trailer will cost you around 2800 to start. If you call AFCO ask for mike. 310-323-7175

Outnumbered
    Sounds good. Do they remove anything or is that the price if its brought down stripped (no lights, bunks, etc.).
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    OL

Hustler
    You would be better off stiping all of that yourself, like I said call Mike and tell him Joe told you to call, he is a good friend of mine.

SPECTRABRENT
    JOe,
    Is that the place that did Steves trailer?
    I will be needing to get mine done shortly.
    I still have the bimni top if you want to come and pick it up.
    Brent

jet4fun
    i say definetly redo the old trailer. from what you said the trailer has no mechanical damage. sounds like you just want a fresh paint job.
    i redid mine myself. i stripped it, had it sandblasted, me and a buddy painted it ourselves in the backyard, i rewired it myself, replaced the bearings races seals and leaf spring bushings, and bought treated wood and carpet from lowes, and a new set of wheels and tires.
    its a 74 competitive and looks brand new, and i spent less than a grand (the wheels alone cost 550 so you could save a lot of money if you like your old ones, mine were nasty looking)

Outnumbered
    Jet4fun,
    Sounds like re-do is the way to go. About the wheels, mine are OK but I was thinking of upgrading them at the same time. Is a trailer off-set unique or will some car/truck wheels work. Mine are 14x7 chrome mods with 5-4.5 bolt pattern. Any suggestions? What did you put on?
    Thanks,
    OL

HotHallet
    Competitive builds exceptionally good trailers. My dad went to high school with the Danny the owner of Competitive and my dad has always had competitive trailers under his boats. They are exceptionally well built. Your trailer does not sound like it is in that bad of condition. If you are looking to refurbish it I have a friend who knows a guy who will powdercoat it for around $600.00. That apparanetly includes sandblasting it to remove rust. I would recommend re-doing your trailer as a new Competitive probably has a 3,500-4,000 price tag.

Outnumbered
    HH, that sounds too good to be true . Get me more info if you have it. You can e-mail me if you want. Thanks for the help.
    OL

25Elmn8r
    I helped my buddy redo his trailer at the beginning of the season. We had it sandblasted and powdercoated for around $700. Powder coat, new lights, wiring, bunks, and carpet = less than $900. This place is in HB. I can get the # if you want.
    [ August 27, 2002, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: 25Elmn8r ]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast