Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for online maps & info of Colorado River & Lakes

MagicMtnDan
    I want to learn more about the boating opportunities along the Colorado River and ultimately figure out where to buy a house that is centrally located to a number of the lakes.
    I'm learning more about Lakes Powell, Mead, Mohave and Havasu (what about Martinez Lake, is it open to powerboating?). What are other options for places to live besides Lake Havasu City (LHC)? How about Bullhead City (heard it's been booming for years). Are there other cities/towns from which to choose that will put us close to these lakes and the river? (Seems like the focus on this board is Lake Havasu which is nice but I've also enjoyed Lake Mohave a lot - haven't been to Powell or Mead yet).
    Can anyone provide a link to maps? Thanks for any help you can provide.

jet496
    This ones good. www.riverlakes.com

MagicMtnDan
    This is very cool, thanks!
    Anyone care to share experiences (suggest best places to go) on Mohave, Mead or Powell?

Mandelon
    We have been on Mohave a bunch of times. There are some nice coves. As I recall just past the high power lines, on the West side there is a deep cove with a couple of good beaches.

burtandnancy
    We spend so much time on Lake Mead as well as a day or so at Havasu and a few at Mohave, that we bought a summer home in Boulder City. Boating doesn't get much better than Mead, nearly year around. Been boating there so long I've seen the water level go over the spillways (prox 1225') and now near its record low (1144' yesterday). BC is a great small town only minutes from the fastest growing city in the U.S. I could go on and on but we don't want too many people finding out...

Trash
    We love going to Mead, Mojave, LHC and Powell. Most of the time we go to the first three listed simply because they're the closest. I typically don't sit in one spot to long on any of these lakes because there's so much to explore. At Mead we like to hang out in Wishing Well cove, sit in the middle of virgin basin or Sandy Beach. At Mohave we launch at Katherine's and head all the way up to the Hoover dam, float downstream a few miles, then go to Owl Point for a while. I put a good 100-150 miles and about 5 hours on the boat a day going to these places.

MagicMtnDan
    Trash:
    We love going to Mead, Mojave, LHC and Powell. Most of the time we go to the first three listed simply because they're the closest. I typically don't sit in one spot to long on any of these lakes because there's so much to explore. At Mead we like to hang out in Wishing Well cove, sit in the middle of virgin basin or Sandy Beach. At Mohave we launch at Katherine's and head all the way up to the Hoover dam, float downstream a few miles, then go to Owl Point for a while. I put a good 100-150 miles and about 5 hours on the boat a day going to these places. Thanks for your response. How long does it take to run up from Katherine's to Hoover Dam? I'm not familiar with the river up to the dam, can a 25'er with a prop run it OK or is a jet the way to do that stretch of the river? Thanks again.

burtandnancy
    The Katherine/Willow Beach/Dam run is great, 1 hour at a fast cruise if Mohave is not too rough. The best trip of all is launching at Willow and driving to the dam and Katherins from there. Willow should be reached from Boulder City, its too long from Bullhead or Havasu...

Trash
    Okay, 1 hour at a fast cruise IF you have a Hallett like his (BurtandNancy)! Hell it takes me two hours. My comfortable cruise is about 30 mph and I'm usually in no rush, so it takes me about 2 hours. It's 65 miles from Katherines to the Hoover dam. With the water elevation at 640' or more it will be no problem north of Willow Beach. The water is very clear and you will see the bottom a lot. This can make for a spooky ride sometimes but most (not all) hazards are marked. Stay to the center for the most part. There are a few shoals and flats that stick out a ways about half way between Willow and the dam you'll need to keep an eye on. At current lake elevation the minimum you will see in center channel is about 6 feet. Again, this is an approximate as lake elevations fluctuate.

ACCEPTENCE
    Hey there, A bunch of us are doing a houseboat deal on Mohave for the 4th. Familiar with the lake from Kath's to Cotton but thats it. Do houseboats go up river from Cotton??? If so, where to beach it???
    And I had heard that you can't even boat close to the H-dam or even see it from Mohave, is this true??? Should I cancel the idea of a day trip up the river to see the dam??? A two hour trip one way??? Food, gas or eats on the way???
    Thanks for your thoughts, Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast