Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED ADVICE COBALT -VS- SEA RAY

hd&boatrider
    A friend is considering a 2002 Cobalt 21 footer (last new 2002 the dealer has) -vs- the Sea ray 2003 20 foot deck boat. I was wondering if any of you have any personal experience on these boats that you can share here for him to read about over the next day or so. He will be taking both out for test rides this weekend and I will be out of town and won't be able to go with him. Primary use will be on Havasu, Mohave and probably occasional trips to Peris or Elsinore for day trips. They are pretty close as far as price and both salesmen are dealing with the other products with respect rather than trying to make the other guy look bad. That is good to hear for a change. The Cobalt has a little bit more flare and color than the Sea Ray boat and that has caught their eye somewhat.
    I know the Sea Ray is very well built but do not know much about Cobalt. The Cobalt sounds like it is very well appointed and has the Volvo 270HP duo prop config. The Sea Ray uses the single Mercruiser config. Don't know the HP on it.
    Any advice for the virgin boater?

KCook
    The Cobalt, in a heartbeat! Here is a thread with several Cobalt owners - 2002 Cobalt 206. You will likely need to register at www.BoatingABC.com before that link will work Ok.
    Kelly Cook
    [ September 07, 2003, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: KCook ]

Kilrtoy
    Looked at both back in the day,
    COBALT

Outnumbered
    Cobalt is higher end. Lots of old folks and family types have them here on Arrowhead. Nice boats. I think Sea Ray is like an upscale Gayliner.
    BTW, did ya make it to Mohave? We had a good weekend out there.
    OL

Mandelon
    Cobalts are the Mercedes of the lakes from what I have heard. Sea Ray is owned by Brunswick (I think) who also owns Maxum and Bayliner, among others. Baja too....
    Definitely the Cobalt!

BlownCole
    Cobalt, I have been around a bunch of them, very well built boats

superV
    Cobalt all the Ride With Class in a Colbalt! wink

roln 20s
    Cobalt- one of the best built boats...period. Sea Rays are nice, but nothing even compared to a COBALT.
    Roln 20s

SUPERCREWJOHN
    hd&boatrider:
    A friend is considering a 2002 Cobalt 21 footer (last new 2002 the dealer has) -vs- the Sea ray 2003 20 foot deck boat. I was wondering if any of you have any personal experience on these boats that you can share here for him to read about over the next day or so. He will be taking both out for test rides this weekend and I will be out of town and won't be able to go with him. Primary use will be on Havasu, Mohave and probably occasional trips to Peris or Elsinore for day trips. They are pretty close as far as price and both salesmen are dealing with the other products with respect rather than trying to make the other guy look bad. That is good to hear for a change. The Cobalt has a little bit more flare and color than the Sea Ray boat and that has caught their eye somewhat.
    I know the Sea Ray is very well built but do not know much about Cobalt. The Cobalt sounds like it is very well appointed and has the Volvo 270HP duo prop config. The Sea Ray uses the single Mercruiser config. Don't know the HP on it.
    Any advice for the virgin boater? Before he buys, he should consider the 21's from the local customs like Ultra, Shockwave,Essex, and maybe even a Hallett 210. They may be a bit more, but not signifigantly, but the quality will be there in the product..

77charger
    i didnt think the newer sea rays were comparable to bayliners.I know alot of people use the older ones for ocean use.I have ridden in a couple of older ones 84,85 and they were SOLID in the ocean no stress cracks,etc.I guess they dont make them like they use to applies here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast