Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: river old timers 1965

mike37
    my dad is one of the origanel river skiers by parker back in the 60's
    any old timers remember this boat
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/dadsboat.JPG[/img]
    any old timers remember thes boat

cigarette1
    I was skiing on the Parker Strip in '65

mike37
    cigarette1
    you probably know this spot
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/bigbend.JPG[/img]

Havasu_Dreamin
    My dad used to ski on the Parker strip back in the early 60's.

Mike J.
    I remember Racing Motorcycles from the
    Palm Springs area to Parker then water
    skiing to cool off in the mid 60s to mid 70s.
    Mike J. Viewfinders MC

that spot is across from buckskin i think

cigarette1
    I can't place that picture. In '65, I was only 11 years old. And what went on between then and now, it's amazing that I can remember anything ;-)
    In '65 I was skiing behind Dorsetts w/ Evinrudes.
    By '70 I was skiing behind Stevens, Halletts, Sangers and Gaylords w/ Hemi's, BBF's and BBC's
    It's been a while since the last time, at least 2 years ago, but, I can still get up on the first pull ... on a single.
    G
    [ October 07, 2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: cigarette1 ]

Back To Havasu
    I grew up on the Parker Strip in the 50s. Raced in the 1959 McCullough 100 mile outboard race in 1959 and 1960 at Site Six (site of future Lake Havasu City island), and spent mucho time on Havasu from 1959 to 1997. The way I remember, a fellow named Jim Dillon owned Site Six, which consisted of a campground, airstrip, launch ramp and general store, until he crashed his Cessna 182 into his own landing strip and killed himself. His estate then sold the property to McCullough and the rest, as they say, is history.
    McCullough had a trio of DC6b prop passenger planes flying in tourists free from all over the country, sold them property, with big rebates if they developed within months of purchase. In 1964, with the help of a man named Charles Royale, Lake Havasu City was launched.

Boatcop
    The picture is looking from Buckskin Point across the river to the California side. What's now Echo Lodge would be just to the left of the picture.
    I started coming to Parker in the mid '60s, and learned to ski behind a 18' Schuyster jet boat. My folks had a place at Jolly Knight. I learned to ride a dirt bike at what is now the back nine at Emerald Canyon Golf Course. They moved here full time in 1974, and I was stationed here with the Coast Guard from 1978-1981.I moved here full time in 1987 when I got off Active Duty.
    Anyone know where I can get a copy of "Return of the Rebels"? It was a movie made out here in 1978 with Barbara Eden, Jamie Farr, and Patrick Swayze. We ran security for the film crew, and although I saw it on TV many years ago, I haven't been able to find a Video for my "River Collection".

79Hawaiian
    Anyone know where I can get a copy of "Return of the Rebels"? It was a movie made out here in 1978 with Barbara Eden, Jamie Farr, and Patrick Swayze. We ran security for the film crew, and although I saw it on TV many years ago, I haven't been able to find a Video for my "River Collection".[/QB]Unfortunately it is currently not in print. You can go to the Internet Movie Database (IMDB.com) to find anything and everything about almost every film ever produced.
    Here is a link to the film you are talking about:
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0082990

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast