Thread: Noise Restrictions

Havasu Cig
    I just coppied this from OffshoreOnly.com....If it is true it is bad news...
    New sound measurement law AB-1555 goes into effect January 1, 2005. Boats will be measured at idle from 1.5 meatures from exhuast and can not exceed 88dbs for boats manufactured after 1993 and 90dbs for those before. The one good part for now is that the law only applies within one mile of the shoreline. For those that have silent choice their "may" be a loop hole.
    I know that I wrote a letter to my Assemblyman and tried contacting him several times as well as sending him information regarding sound levels of everyday items such as lawn mowers, leaf blowers, street cleaners etc. that would not pass this test and are more disruptive on a daily basis than our boats.
    I hope some others sent their thoughts on the matter to their assemblyman.
    I just wish that we were as organized as the guys with the sail boats that initiated this law.
    By the way, I have yet to get a response from my Assemblyman and noticed he did not vote on the bill. I have sent him an e-mail to find out why and ask him if I would have his support in challenging the new law.

burbanite
    You think that's bad, I got a ticket because "I can hear it from 40 feet away". WTF!!!!!!!

Liberator TJ1984
    Same thing going on here also , Game Wardens are issuing "Warnings " right now but as soon as they can Clarify a few rulings ??? will be put into effect in the very near future...there is a controversy over water injected and jacketed issue but they said if they wanted to be A-holes they could start taking DB readings for those not at least willing co-operate burningm

HavasuDreamin'
    burbanite:
    You think that's bad, I got a ticket because "I can hear it from 40 feet away". WTF!!!!!!! You can hear a fish jump out of water from 40' away. devil
    Good thing for me is that I have a jack plate for my wacka. Sink the exhaust under the water around the docks.

Havasu Cig
    BTW, This law effects California. I don't know what the impact on boating at the river / Havasu will be, but half of it is in California.

Havasu Cig
    here is some more info...
    It applies to all waters. From the CA Dept. of Boating and Waterways legislative report:
    "AB 1555 (Nakano). Motorboat Noise, New SAE Standards. Existing law prohibits the operation of motorized recreational vessels, in or upon the inland waters of the state, that exceed specified noise levels specified in Society of Automotive Engineers standards.
    AB 1555 would:
    delete the existing SAE J34 procedure for measuring recreational motorboat noise, establish, for recreational vessel engines manufactured before January 1, 1993, a maximum noise level of 90 dB(A) when subjected to a stationary sound level test conducted in accordance with SAE standard SAE J2005,
    establish, for recreational vessel engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1993, a maximum noise level of 88 dB(A) when subjected to a stationary sound level test conducted in accordance with SAE standard SAE J2005, establish, for recreational vessel engines, a maximum noise level of 75 dB(A) measured as specified by SAE J1970, a shoreline sound level measurement procedure. Allow the aforementioned motorboat noise provisions to be operative within coastal waters, which are presently excluded.
    Sponsor: Bluewater Network "